Michigan Airshow Pics (modem warning.....)

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
I downsized these, but with 14 pics in the post, it'll still take awhile for some of y'all to download. Hope you like 'em!

One of the rare stars of this show (Thunder Over Michigan, 2005 at KYIP, sponsored by the Yankee Air Force) was a B-24 Liberator known as Witchcraft. One of only two left flying (the other is Diamond Lil, also in attendance) this aircraft was recently painted, was formerely "The Dragon And His Tail" which you may have seen.
orig.jpg

Speaking of dragons, we also were visited by this B-25 Mitchell (two others present). Rather colorful nose, yes?
orig.jpg

And another highlight of the show, the eight B-17's present. Our own Yankee Lady was a gracious host to Memphis Belle, Liberty Belle, Nine O Nine, Chuckie, Thunderbird, Fuddy Duddy, and Sentimental Journey.....
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I got a kick out of the words on the gear doors on this sinster black Mig 17 :D
orig.jpg

The Heritage Flight this year consisted of an A-10 and an F-86.
orig.jpg

A better shot of the F-86 with the A-10 in tow
orig.jpg

Quite possibly the rarest plane in attendance (and that is saying quite alot!) was this Messerschmitt BF 109, a stunning piece of history and joy to see fly.
orig.jpg

Had to snap this one for the cat fanciers among us ;)
orig.jpg

And speaking of cats, I've always wondered how the Brit's came to call this beast a Kittyhawk? Nice kitty......
orig.jpg

The YAF's only true combat veteran aircraft, the B-25 Yankee Warrior was up and down all day, I think doing flex (flight experience) flights....
orig.jpg

These P-47's went up several times as well, and flew a great display....
orig.jpg

Here we have a flight line shot of the "flight of 8" Texans, with Mustangs and B-17's on the ramp..... (Note: rear group of 4 is two Texans, a BT-13 "Vultee Vibrator" and a Yak 52TW).
orig.jpg

And last, though it is difficult to get detail from a wide shot, five B-17's in frame. Out of frame were two more to the rear, and one in front.
orig.jpg

I spent the entire day Sunday and all of Saturday morning with a scanner in my ear and camera glued to my forehead. Had a great time. Took about 350 pics! Hope you like this small grouping.

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful!

Equally as rare is to hear an American say it is a joy to see a ME-109 in the air. My fav is the P-40, I like the camera angle. The B-25 is a D model. Witchcraft and Nine O Nine were at PRB several months ago, they use Pledge on all their glass.
Thank you for sharing those wonderful pics.

Whoa, F-86 Sabers... Those were pretty good fighters... (late Korea? I forgot) ...

And the BF109s looks wonderful as well...

All the planes look great... Can't really be too picky... A lot of those have a good flight history, I think...

I remember reading a story about a pilot of the F-86... An ace pilot... Can't recall the name or even if it was real (I was a younger then) ... Think the story, the plane he was testing failed...

Somewhere, my dad (AF, Vietnam) has photos of the planes he worked with... F-106s or bombers... I have to see if I can look at the albums again when I go back home...

Thanks for the pics of the event...

T Bone said:
I downsized these, but with 14 pics in the post, it'll still take awhile for some of y'all to download. Hope you like 'em!

One of the rare stars of this show (Thunder Over Michigan, 2005 at KYIP, sponsored by the Yankee Air Force) was a B-24 Liberator known as Witchcraft. One of only two left flying (the other is Diamond Lil, also in attendance) this aircraft was recently painted, was formerely "The Dragon And His Tail" which you may have seen.

Great photos! Looks like you had a fabulous time! One question though. Was that B-24 also painted as the "All American" at some time? If so I've seen it at CRG a few times. Took this photo of the Flag displayed in front of her top turret during february visit a few years ago.

Great pics T, i've seen Sentimental Journey,and even got to ride in Fuddy-Duddy
Dave G

Thanks all, and thanks for the info on the B-24. I didn't know the answer but suspected that was the case.

The Collings Foundation is a great organization. One of their pilots (Steve, I've forgotten his last name) is a terrific guy. He is a retired airline captain, and now travels the country doing checkouts in B-25's B-17's and the like. Had the pleasure of riding along during a 4 1/2 hour training mission in the Yankee Lady B-17 a few years back, and had some great flying conversation with him during the time on the ground. He also flew an L39 for a guy in Florida. What a job, eh? A true professional and gentleman to boot. From what I hear, par for the course with the Collings people.

In case anyone was wondering what "The Dragon and His Tail" looked like before the Witchcraft paint job. My guess is the dragon's lady friend got some complaints from parents ...?

EHITCH said:
In case anyone was wondering what "The Dragon and His Tail" looked like before the Witchcraft paint job. My guess is the dragon's lady friend got some complaints from parents ...?

That is possible, but the nose art of WWII era planes is full of suggestive posed scantily clothed women (though outright nudity is rarer) I suspect it is more a case of the Collings people wanting to recreate several famous WWII B24 paint schemes, re-doing it every few years. Gives something fresh to the warbird circuit, and allows a variety of Liberator appearances otherwise impossible with the limitation of examples extant.

T Bone said:
I suspect it is more a case of the Collings people wanting to recreate several famous WWII B24 paint schemes, re-doing it every few years. Gives something fresh to the warbird circuit.

Good point! And I should have said earlier, thanks for posting the pix, they're great!

EH

The jet with the stars and stripes on it...that was on Rocket Rigs tonight on TLC. They showed "Shockwave" part of Masters of Disaster. What an interesting show, well the airplane part at least.

HPNFlyGirl said:
The jet with the stars and stripes on it...that was on Rocket Rigs tonight on TLC. They showed "Shockwave" part of Masters of Disaster. What an interesting show, well the airplane part at least.

Here's a nice shot.:yes:

I really wish I could have gone. I've been to those shows in the past and they are usually pretty darn good. I remember one year I flew into Willow Run for the show along with a couple of friends. When we were leaving tower had us taxi in position and hold while they cleared an F14 Tomcat for take off on a runway that crossed ours. He had clearance to 8,000 upon departure and on his take off roll he pulled the jet up about 50 feet off the runway, leveled off to build speed until he reached the end then he went verticle to 8,000. He was a Navy pilot who was a local guy and earlier it looked like he had a family picknic by the airplane.

That was definitely a fun day.

Back