Michael - Car window question

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I'm having a problem with my driver's side window - When I attempt to roll it up, it sometimes twists clockwise as viewed from inside and binds up enough that it goes back down. I have to hold the top towards the back to get it to go up. This is in a 2001 Volvo S60.

What's the likely problem?
How easy is it to fix?
How the heck do I get the door apart on this thing?

And the biggie...

Where can I buy a service manual for this car? I haven't been able to find one yet. :(

Thanks,

Inside the door panel there are 2 bars that form an X. The top of the X has a plastic guide that rides in a track. The bottom is operated by the motor for the window. One of the plastic guides is broken. It cost ~$3 at the dealership and takes 1 hr to repair. Its not hard but you have to remove the door panel and get your hands in some awkward positions.

Unfortunately, Haynes has not come out with one for your car yet. And that is a shame, since Haynes beats the crap outta Chilton anyday, IMHO.

Thanks for the link, Nick!

You're right about Haynes. I had a Haynes manual for my last car. I don't consider myself much of a mechanic, though I can usually put all the stuff I take apart back together in one piece. The Haynes manual made things simple. Lots more pictures than Chilton.

Inside the door panel there are 2 bars that form an X. The top of the X has a plastic guide that rides in a track. The bottom is operated by the motor for the window. One of the plastic guides is broken.

I was wondering if maybe it could have simply fallen off the X on the front. The big thing is, I have no clue how to get the door apart. There aren't any obvious plugs like previous cars I've done this to.

It cost ~$3 at the dealership and takes 1 hr to repair. Its not hard but you have to remove the door panel and get your hands in some awkward positions.

Again... How do I get into the door on this model? That's the big obstacle at the moment. I want to know where to pry first. :eek:

John is more than likely correct about the style of regulator, however, you cant just replace the plastic guides. You have to buy a new regulator. PM me Kent, well get you fixed.

Looks like the part number you probably need is number 7 in the attached pic:
8626964-4 list price is 371.41
bummer.

check to make sure its not part number 2 in attached pic, that just came unglued from the window though.

Take some pics of the panel for me, Ill tell you how to get it off. That model escapes me at the moment.

Attachments

• s60.JPG
    s60.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
John is more than likely correct about the style of regulator, however, you cant just replace the plastic guides. You have to buy a new regulator. PM me Kent, well get you fixed.

Looks like the part number you probably need is number 7 in the attached pic:
8626964-4 list price is 371.41
bummer.

check to make sure its not part number 2 in attached pic, that just came unglued from the window though.

Take some pics of the panel for me, Ill tell you how to get it off. That model escapes me at the moment.

Thanks! It'll be a few days 'til I get home again to take the pics. I'll see if I can't find some from another source.

Back