MICCO SP26 - Avionics Wiring Issues?

AviatorAdam

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AviatorAdam
To Any MICCO owners out there....

Was replacing an MX20 which was inop in a Micco SP26 today. Ran into many issues trying to get it configured correctly....

From the owner's understanding -- the aircraft's panel has not been touched since he purchased it from the factory.

The new MX20 data card has more error reporting built into the software. During the setup phase the MX20 kept reporting the below error message.

"Safety Monitor System Shutdown and Restart in Progress 16384 100"

After speaking with a friendly Garmin/Apollo Field Service guy on the phone, we determined that the GX60, SL30 and GDL69 were not wired correctly. After further review, it appears there is no GDL69 installed in the aircraft. (Could not locate it nor locate a secondary GPS antenna). We determined that the MX20 was receiving the error due to the SL30 being on Port 2 and the absence of the GDL69 was flagging the error message. After disabling the GDL69 source through the MX20 install settings and changing the ports around until we found what worked -- we were able to get it up and running.

Has any other Micco owner had the same issues with their MX20?

"SAFETY MONITOR SHUTDOWN" is the MX20 software's interception of the NT 4 (which is what the thing is running) BSOD.

That's not "error reporting" it's crash recovery.

According to Garmin techs it was due to the additional equipment and ports not being wired correctly. They believe two of the components feeding data to the unit are wired to the same port.

It stopped only when we disabled the GDL69 source and reconfigured the ports for the SL30. Furthermore the tech explained that the new updated data card had additional error reporting built in. In previous data card versions they only had a couple thousand error reporting lines of code. The newer data cards have over 10,000. Therefore, in previous versions of the data card, similar issues would have been ignored by the software version.

I'm only relaying what information was provided to us direct from Garmin/Apollo.

Nice of them to bother to tell the owners about software updates. I've not touched my MX20 card other than to update the navdata since I upgraded to the 256MB or whatever when the thing ran out of space ten years ago.

I am supporter of "K.I.S.S." and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Older versions of the software is still okay to use. You may not get to "most" out of your systems, however they will still work and the data should remain accurate. There are known issues when using older databases with a interfaced system that has a newer database. Ex: GPS data card is old and MFD datacard is new.. you may experience issues with the two communicating together properly. So I suppose it goes to say; If you update 1, update them all.

Ron- Are you a Micco owner? And FYI a new MX20 datacard update is being released next week. I believe it is version 5.9.

No, I have a Navion but have a 480 and an MX20.

Back