Mic volume

wrbix

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot Lite
what will probably turn out to be a dumb question.....but here goes:
For first time yesterday had the following:
- headphone volumes from ATC and from mic when NOT transmitting are appropriate, but
- headphone volume when I’m transmitting (re PTT’ing) are VERY loud to point of discomfort.
Attempted adjustments of volume controls at GNS530w, GMA340, and QT Halo did not seem to balance the situation.
Just out of avionics shop for AP repair...I’ve got an email out to them as well.

Sounds like your sidetone needs adjustment.

In the 530 press and hold enter button I think during startup gets you into the maintenance menu. you will find sidetone there on a couple pages. be careful with what you cange in there. You will need to power cycle tthe 530 to have the changes take effect.
Only 3 frequencies work when adjusting sidetone. 118.00 127.00 136.975

Some audio panels also have sidetone adjustment.

Last edited:
Steve and Eric - thanks!
Not sure how/why the Avionics shop mucked around w the GNS settings, but sure sounds like the issue.

Here's a pic of my 430W.
20121205_144642.jpg

My 225 had a similar issue fresh out of the avionics shop. Intercom was deafeningly loud, sidetone was inaudible. Easy tweaks from the setup menu.

Just a follow up: spent some ground power time today troubleshooting:
- sidetone loud on both radios, via three different headsets plugged in right or left.
Adjusted as per the instructions shared above from settings of 32 to 12 with all seemingly balanced now.
Wonder how my electrons got all outta whack?

Don't know why this would have occurred. good it's sorted though. When the 530 gives you a message stating memory battery low, we can fix that also. Dale and I changed the memory battery in my 430.

Back