Miami Radio Communications Interference

Dakota Duce

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dakota Duce
Read this in my local newspaper today. I've condensed it into just the important parts without changing what was being reported.

ASSOCIATED PRESS: MIAMI -

Pilots departing from Miami International Airport are getting an earful of something unexpected: Hip-hop tunes from a pirate radio station that calls itself "Da Streetz". "Da Streetz" remains on the air, interfering at times with communications between pilots and the control tower.

Kathleen Bergen, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman, told The Associated Press.. "Pilots that are departing Miami International Airport have been reporting hearing unauthorized broadcasts on the air traffic frequencies."

She went on to say.. "Pilots picking up the broadcasts switch to another frequency when they do to communicate with air traffic controllers, because there can be no interference with air traffic communications, especially during a critical phase of flight like departure or arrival."

Continuing, Bergen said.. "The Federal Communications Commission and Florida Department of Law Enforcement are investigating. The FAA has conducted about 30 similar investigations in South Florida in the past decade into interference with airport transmissions from pirate radio stations and signals from communications devices."

A Florida anti-piracy law that went into effect a year ago makes it a crime for anyone to sending transmissions that interfere with signals from licensed public or commercial stations, or broadcasting without a license.

----------------------------------------------------

I guess I have a couple of questions/thoughts. When you read the above, what thought(s) first popped into your head.. and, have you ever flown out of Miami and had the above happen to you?

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Back