Miami area rental recommendations & Key West

ksp_530

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
KSP
Hello all,

I have been lurking around in the forums for a while. We are flying to Miami (via commercial) in late December. I am planning to rent a C172 in the Miami area and fly to Key West or MTH for a day trip. There seems to be a whole bunch schools :confused:. Any recommendations on flight schools/ airports in the Miami area for checkout?

Any recommendations on routing? I was thinking to fly along the east coast, but seems to be a very busy route. What do you guys think? Appreciate your input!

Thanks

I would suspect that if you went south to KTMB, Tamiami, that you would find a number of airplanes available. From TMB if you go due south till you get to the Keys (avoiding any problems) then go slightly south of the Overseas Highway till you get to MTH or Key West I think that would be a fun route. North of the Overseas Highway you risk running into the balloon in the Restricted area a bit east of Key West and west of Marathon.

I second KTMB as an option... a busy airport with lots of school and planes. Also, if you go there, you might want to visit the Wings Over Miami air museum... a lot of very cool stuff, including some WWII birds on display. It;s right on the airport.

http://www.wingsovermiami.com/

Ktmb a pilot friendly airport. If you stay south of the highway ,it's a scenic no big deal flight.just be sure to stay out of the navy's airspace for key west.

Ktmb a pilot friendly airport. If you stay south of the highway ,it's a scenic no big deal flight.just be sure to stay out of the navy's airspace for key west.

If you are going to Key West you should call up the Naval Air Station for clearance to fly through that airspace.

Last couple of times I asked they told me to fly around it.

Thanks all. Sent emails to flight schools inquiring the checkout requirements.

KMTH vs KEYW?
Things to watch for at these airports (such as winds, traffic, etc.)?

I was thinking go directly to KEYW, get a car and drive around a bit and for lunch. But I read mixed reviews about KEYW. Does anyone have recent experience flying into KEYW?

KMTH vs KEYW?

I was thinking go directly to KEYW, get a car and drive around a bit and for lunch. But I read mixed reviews about KEYW. Does anyone have recent experience flying into KEYW?

I was down there last Christmas. I had a pleasant experience. With all the talk of fees for going to the Bahamas I don't have a problem with an overnight tie down fee or gas that may be a little more expensive than KFMY (Page Field, Fort Myers has had cheap fuel lately). I would recommend Key West over Marathon but I have flown into Marathon, rented a car and driven to Key West and that is an ok way to enjoy Key West also.

KMTH vs KEYW?

Hi. I am based out of KTMB. Drop me a PM and I will give you my number. Let me know what you are looking for in a rental - bells and whistles or price?

Re KEYW, I flew my Arrow down there a year or so ago and what worked really well for me was to rent a scooter. The rental shop picks you up at the airport for free and you drop the scooter at the airport when you leave. They rent golf carts also if you do not like scooters. Of course, a car is an option but the scooter is easier to park downtown.

I was just down in Key West a couple of weeks ago. Went down to watch the power boat races. Cool place to hang out and relax, have a few beers. The FBO (Island City Flying Service) was not bad. $15 per night tie down fee and as long as you buy 8 gallons they will waive a $30 service fee. Gas is expensive there but thankfully did not need to buy much. Lots of cool bars and some good food too. Try El Siboney for great Cuban food. Taxi to get around town worked good for me. Lots of them around town and they will generally pick you up within 5 minutes of your call. You can also rent scooters which are fun but not cheap. Call Key West approach when you get close and they will help you navigate through the Navy airspace, or they will hand you to them if needed. Easy trip and very scenic. You will enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was just down in Key West a couple of weeks ago. Went down to watch the power boat races. Cool place to hang out and relax, have a few beers. The FBO (Island City Flying Service) was not bad. $15 per night tie down fee and as long as you buy 8 gallons they will waive a $30 service fee. Gas is expensive there but thankfully did not need to buy much. Lots of cool bars and some good food too. Try El Siboney for great Cuban food. Taxi to get around town worked good for me. Lots of them around town and they will generally pick you up within 5 minutes of your call. You can also rent scooters which are fun but not cheap. Call Key West approach when you get close and they will help you navigate through the Navy airspace, or they will hand you to them if needed. Easy trip and very scenic. You will enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good advice. About the scooters, the savings on cab fare from the airport to town and back for me and my 12-year-old son just about paid for a half-day scooter rental, $32 + tip for the cab vs about $45 for the scooter.

attachment.php

Attachments

• S1052538.JPG
    S1052538.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Thanks for suggestions...scooters sounds like fun and easy.
@alfadog - PM sent

Fly into Key West going down the south side of the Keys. Call Navy approach at the Seven Mile Bridge, just past Marathon. They will keep you out of the F18's way. When they hand you of the Key West tower you will probably get a right downwind for runway 9. When I am with some one new to the place I request a circle around town for a tour staying over water and a left base entry to 9. Great view of old town KW. I have never been turned down.

Forget a car! It is not necessary and parking is impossible in season. Get a cab into town and walk around. The place is not that big! If you want to see the city buy the tour on the Old Town Trolley. It is a narrated tour about 2-3 hours long with on and off privileges. If you want wheels rent a bike.

Hi all, OP here. Thanks for all your ideas. I scheduled a checkout at one of the flight schools at KTMB. Plan is to fly south and stay east of the highway, as some of you have suggested.

Are there any potential emergency landing spots in the keys besides the highway? Should I pack a raft and vests?

Thanks

Hi all, OP here. Thanks for all your ideas. I scheduled a checkout at one of the flight schools at KTMB. Plan is to fly south and stay east of the highway, as some of you have suggested.

Are there any potential emergency landing spots in the keys besides the highway? Should I pack a raft and vests?

Thanks

I wouldn't pack a raft and vests, but you can if you like. The Keys aren't a mecca of smooth fields for emergency landings so good luck if you have an engine failure. I saw an article recently about how someone did not recommend landing in shallow water but I know nothing about that. It seems like maybe someone got stuck in the muck, flipped over and had some problems in shallow water. Certainly there have been off airport landings in shallow water that worked out ok.

I always have inflatable suspenders aboard,a personal choice,you never know.

Back