Mexico overflights

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I guess there will never be such a thing, c.f. Cdn overflights.
I fly past some mysterious mountains and a huge, ie miles long gorgeous stretch of pure, sandy desert just over border which beckon me.
The iphone does not capture it very well.
IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1910.JPG IMG_2581.JPG IMG_1721.JPG photo.JPG

They do, it is an agreement with Juarez tracon....but a very localized thing. These places are 20-30mi from the border and well away from Juarez. I guess I'll just have to go really low with the box off when I come back!

I've done Mexico overflights, but that was en route to Belize. Merida center was just another frequency to talk to.

Flown over Mexico into Monterrey many times. You have to be very careful with their ATC and clearances, especially altitude assignments. Monterrey airport surrounded by high jagged mountains. We were required by Co procedures to respect the altitudes on the charts and to stay on the DME arcs inbound to the airport. That arc kept you east of the mountain range, and on the rare day when the smog wasn't bad you could see how those jagged mountains looked, and they looked very unforgiving.

KELP seems to have some instrument approaches that overfly Mexico.

See below

Harlingen (KHRL) back course 35L approach starts over Mexico (if you use the ACREW IAF). I want to fly it sometime.

Not sure why you guys are enamored with it. The instrument approach at KELP (local to me) is for runway 4. Due to new controller training, a bunch of us get vectored over Juarez in VFR conditions routinely. My CFI had a friend of his arrested there years ago for an engine out with no damage to property. You can't even have bullets in your vehicle over there. I've lived here my entire life and stopped traveling to Mexico in the early 90's due to all of the weird arrests there. Those "vectors" above are deep over Juarez, well beyond gliding distance back to the river. After two deep vectors last year, I now state "unable" and will accept any other heading, hold or altitude due to normally carrying CHL. Most vectors are due to a SINGLE departing aircraft off of KELP:confused::(

Back