Mexico (flight plan chihuahua to KPRS texas))

ecrane99

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ed
I know most folks file a DVFR flight plan when crossing to/from mexico. I also know that IFR is an option too. Anyone know if I need to file an international IFR flight plan or can I use the regular domestic IFR filing as found on the duat.com portal?

I'm departing mexico VFR from Chihuahua city airport. My desire is to call FSS 10 miles before crossing the ADIZ and activate my IFR flight plan at that point. I assume at that point they will clear me to kprs and hand me to ABQ center. Is that a proper procedure? I will fly that IFR plan and cancel it when I have KPRS in sight. Thanks much. Ed

As a side note, I want to file ifr entering mexico a few days earlier. Bullhead city Arizona to San Felipe Mexico. I fully understand the eapis system other than my IFR question.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I went to Mexico from that area (Chih city and Loreto) but I do know that if you are anywhere down there and hope to contact Albuquerque center you need to be really high ie 10K+. The same or worse for Mexican atc in that area. The chart said back then 'ctc Chih app', some 80? mi from Chihuahua but we never got them til 10mi out, probably at 3000'agl.
If daytime, and good weather I'd consider going vfr, it was pretty simple - I think the whole ifr thing will only add grief to your trip. It is imc down there maybe once every 5 years anyway.

And, the best method to advise the port you are coming is by cell phone as soon as you get a signal approaching KPRS from the south (down low). This poe needs/really likes this 2nd phone call... and if you wait til you land you are stuck in your airplane (think bathroom break) and it could be 120°F in the cabin in the summer even with the door open. 432 229-3349 I'd call the morning of your flight to let them know you are coming, give your eta (in addition to the flight plan and eapis notifications)- then call approaching the border. It's a few miles from the bridge ie 15 minute drive for them to get to the airport.

I'm sure you've seen this:
http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Mexico click on Return to US

fltplan.com offers the ICAO format to file out of Mexico ref your question.

Dave, Thanks for the Info. Yes, I've reviewed the process provided by AOPA and BBP and others. So I'm just hung up on the outbound flight planning from mex to US. I will file the International VFR flight plan with mexico before departing Chihuahua (towered airport).
I will put (ADCUS) in the remarks so they will advise US customs of my ETA at KPRS. I assume I will loose contact with Chihuahua approach before reaching the border (near KPRS) spotty coverage. I know I can not cross the ADIZ without a squawk code provided by the US FSS. When I contact FSS for my squawk, will they know of my international flight plan that I filed with mexico, Or will I need to have a new one on file ready to pickup before the ADIZ crossing? I plan to try and reach them using the 122.1R from the Marfa VOR/(HIWAS). I think the HIWAS has range of over 100miles at altitude. I will be at 9500 and 60 miles from the VOR. I don't see 122.2 available in that area. Worst case, I can climb higer for ABQ center. Ed

PS: Thanks for the phone number(confirms i have it correct in my notes). Yes I plan to call the day before and again when departing Chihuahua. Flight time to KPRS is 50 min.

Last edited:
US FSS should have a flight plan forwarded from Mexico when you call. If for any reason they don't, you can give the info via radio.
Jon

I should add that it's a good idea to radio a US station early, ie well before the border. At a cruise altitude, you should be able to reach a US outlet a hundred miles away. That leaves time to sort out any flight plan issues.
Know the FSS RCO frequencies in your area as well as the Center frequencies. You will be able to reach someone.
Jon

i would file ifr linked with eapis on fltplan.com and then just fly as usual. dont forget to call CBP before departure. avoid the 5000 dollar mistake.

i would file ifr linked with eapis on fltplan.com and then just fly as usual. dont forget to call CBP before departure. avoid the 5000 dollar mistake.

And write down the name of the person you spoke to so that if they lose your paperwork you have *something* to hang your hat on.

Back