Metric Conversion

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
I was looking at the PTS for PP and it says that the examiner would ask if you understood metric conversions, because it has to do with altitude. This is on page 9 of the PP PTS. Now I am really confused. Is there anyone who can help me with this? :dunno:

HPNFlyGirl said:

:dunno: indeed. I was not asked to do any metric conversions for my oral, but I would know the lapse rate both C and F.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I was looking at the PTS for PP and it says that the examiner would ask if you understood metric conversions, because it has to do with altitude. This is on page 9 of the PP PTS. Now I am really confused. Is there anyone who can help me with this? :dunno:

You have an ICAO pilot certificate coming to you, which means you are authorized to fly your aircraft with an altimeter calibrated in feet in countries where ATC will issue/assign altitudes in meters. Can you do the conversion from the metric clearance to the units painted on your altimeter? That is the question. However, unless you take the local 172 to Germany it is highly unlikely anyone will ever ask you to prove that you can actually do it.

IOW, don't worry about it.

HPNFlyGirl said:

Actually, it doesn't say that in so many words. The exact text is:

"Metric Conversion Initiative

"To assist pilots in understanding and using the metric measurement system, the practical test standards refer to the metric equivalent of various altitudes throughout. The inclusion of meters is intended to familiarize pilots with its use. The metric altimeter is arranged in 10 meter increments; therefore, when converting from feet to meters, the exact conversion, being too exact for practical purposes, is rounded to the nearest 10 meter increment or even altitude as necessary."

... i.e., when you read references to altitudes in the PTS, you'll find them written in both "feet" and "meters." Since the exact conversion would result in some funky numbers, they're rounding them off in 10s. That is all. If you really want to be ready for the .000001% chance you're asked about the metric system, just remember that 3 feet = @1 meter.

Also, the new instrument rating PTS (8081-4D) released in 2004, which is younger than the private pilot PTS (2002), has removed all references to the metric system. I'd expect that the next update to the private pilot PTS will remove the metric system stuff, also.

This is definitely not something to worry about. :)

Where did you find that fine green girl avitar? Kinda like the female Mr Yuk :eek:

Bill,

I was surfing the web one night and ran across this website called Making Fiends. Its one of the funniest websites I have ever seen. I can relate to Vendetta, my avatar. Btw whos Mr. Yuk?

Brook

Back