Methylprednisolone?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
Everyone might laugh, but I think I spelled that right from memory.

I have a lower back pain that comes sometimes every year or two. The doctor has successfully treated it with this prescription which I think is a steroid of some sort. It has a schedule of a bunch on the first day, fewer the second day on down to about one or two on the last day.

I have my biannual flight review tomorrow morning, but have not yet started the medication. Is this okay to fly with? If not I will wait until Friday to start the medication.

Thanks for your help, and don't laugh too much at my misspelling.

You have taken this in the past and not had issues?

If your instructor acts as PIC then the question becomes - which will effect your performance more - the side effects (if any) or the back pain.

I ain't got no clue what the FAA thinks of Methylprednisolone - they seem to like to cry bloody murder if 0.01% of patients have side effects like depression, but, if you have taken this before without suicidal thoughts, and you are not having issues now...

Mrs. Steingar doesn't take that anymore. Does a number on what ails her, but the side effects are a little extreme. I promised that if she ever started taking that stuff again I was leaving the Continent for the duration. I'd leave the planet if I could.

No way would I fly on that stuff.

The effects of prednisone are insignificant relative to the alleviation of the condition we're taking prednisone for. If my back is hurting enough to warrant prednisone my back is reason enough not to fly.

Possible side effects include

blurred vision
dizziness
mental depression
trouble thinking, speaking, or walking

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope

I have major back problems. The doctor has put me on Meloxicam. This drug has changed my life. I can stand up without screaming. Still have major pain if I stand any length of time or sit to long. But I can walk. I do not feel any effects from this drug. Meaning I can still go about my daily life somewhat and not have that drugged feeling.

I just wanted to pass this along. I feel your pain.

Tony

Thanks VERY much for the replies. I am managing to function at this point. I will wait until after the BFR to take the medicine.

I don't remember any noticeable side effects when I took this stuff before. Kind of scary. I don't take any kind of medicine at all on a regular basis and avoid everything I can.

Thanks again. You guys are great!

Just don't fly on it or make any life-altering decisions. Might not affect you like it does Mrs. Steingar, but better to be safe than sorry.

I agree steingar.

I did my BFR yesterday morning with a tough and strict instructor. He taught me to fly 23 years ago. A great instructor, but was sarcastic and his personality clashed with mine back then. He really ran me through the ringer yesterday and I really surprised myself. His sarcasm and nasty personality seems to have mellowed with the years. He still pushes hard, but it brought out my very best flying.

So, I started the medicine this morning and it will last six days. I won't fly until 24 hours after the last pill.

Great comments advice and support. Thanks to you all.

Doc, I hope you start feeling better. Praying for some relief for you.

Tony

I agree steingar.

I did my BFR yesterday morning with a tough and strict instructor. He taught me to fly 23 years ago. A great instructor, but was sarcastic and his personality clashed with mine back then. He really ran me through the ringer yesterday and I really surprised myself. His sarcasm and nasty personality seems to have mellowed with the years. He still pushes hard, but it brought out my very best flying.

So, I started the medicine this morning and it will last six days. I won't fly until 24 hours after the last pill.

Great comments advice and support. Thanks to you all.

The FAA's requirement for grounding on prednisone is 20mg/day. If you convert methyprednisone to prednisone that works out to about 16mg. So to be safe on your dosing pack you'd just need to wait a few days or so. I've used it before for Achilles tendon tear in the past and had no adverse effects, but apparently that's not true for everyone. Good luck.

My only advice is to be sure and follow the tapering off instructions. Do not just stop taking the medicine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back