Metformin and BasicMed

A

anonymous

A1C has been stable at 5.8 for quite some time, but has now jumped up to 6.0. Not required, but the doc is suggesting I start Metformin. FAA specs say that an AME can OK a medical on the spot for Metformin use as long as A1C is less than 6.5.

I have a valid medical, no special issuances, but am considering going the BasicMed route. If I do that, am I required to report being on Metformin to the FAA, or do I just continue with the standard BasicMed protocol?

You can do either route. But if your Fasting sugar is 125 or less, an AME can just issue you a 3rd class for 2 years.

You might want to reconsider taking metformin. It doesn't cure anything, and you'd likely take it for life. In most cases where metformin is prescribed, one could simply lose a little weight and change some of their dietary habits and get the same result, without having to take the meds. That's what I did when the doc wanted to put me on metformin. Gave up all beverages except for water and coffee, and cut down on the carbs. My fasting sugar is around 100-110 (still have more weight to lose), and my last A1c was about 5.5.

You might want to reconsider taking metformin. It doesn't cure anything, and you'd likely take it for life. In most cases where metformin is prescribed, one could simply lose a little weight and change some of their dietary habits and get the same result, without having to take the meds. That's what I did when the doc wanted to put me on metformin. Gave up all beverages except for water and coffee, and cut down on the carbs. My fasting sugar is around 100-110 (still have more weight to lose), and my last A1c was about 5.5.
Actually, there is consensus level data that metformin increases time to development of resistant diabetes and prolongs the time to development of symptomatic coronary disease.

You can do either route. But if your Fasting sugar is 125 or less, an AME can just issue you a 3rd class for 2 years.

Thank you. Yes I know I can go either with another 3rd Class or BasicMed.

My question really is this:
If I decide to take Metformin, does that instantly upgrade me into some status that must be immediately reported the the FAA? (Or may I just wait six-months until my medical is due and report it then?)

You might want to reconsider taking metformin. It doesn't cure anything, and you'd likely take it for life. In most cases where metformin is prescribed, one could simply lose a little weight and change some of their dietary habits and get the same result, without having to take the meds.

Thanks. However, I'm not overweight and my diet is fairly good. No sugar (beyond what comes in processed food) and I don't overdo it with carbs.

Metformin is a pretty benign drug that provides great results. I was hit pretty hard with its one major side affect which is pretty bad diarrhea. I livied with the gi issues for 6 months on metformin, and used it as well as an aggressive low carb diet and 5 days a week exercise to get my A1C under control. I dropped the metformin after 6 months . My fasting rates jumped by %20 (i was in the 90's pos days and jumped to 115-120). My post meal spikes were rarely above 130 (one hour), without the metformin i was seeing 160's from meals containing less than 8 grams of carbs. I started back on the metformin after 10 days.

I asked a lot of other diabetics how they cope with the gi issues and was recommended a daily quality probiotic, it helped immensely. Modern research suggests neuropathy and tissue damage occurring with A1C's in the high 5's and anytime blood sugar is above 140. Personally I do my best to never exceed 130, I just couldn't do that without metformin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back