Meteor Crater.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I might do a Cali trip and back in a couple weeks, and I missed Meteor Crater on my last trip. I noticed there is nothing noted on the sectional regarding it. Maintain 500' away from anyone or anything correct?
(yeah, I'm thinking about doing...THAT)

;)

the tour guide last year said that they have planes dip through there from time to time. they don't encourage the practice but can't really do much about it. it's private land.

they did leave some of the remains of a 150 down in the crater as a sort of reminder to pilots of why it might not be the best idea.

I think if a guy maintained good airspeed, dipping down in there is no problem. The guys in the 150 got in there and started circling and couldn't get out. They ran out of gas.

According to this, they did not run out of fuel, just airspeed.

They probably forgot they were at 5,000+ MSL

we just cruised around in about 1000 AGL and took a video, then went on home.

I stood on a corner in Winslow, AZ once. A car did slow down, but I don't think it was to take a look at me. I realized that corners have stop signs on them, so if you stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ, every car will slow down as they approach you, and if you forget the stop sign, it's easy to misinterpret their intent.

I've learned so many valuable things in my travels.
-harry

I stood on a corner in Winslow, AZ once. A car did slow down, but I don't think it was to take a look at me. I realized that corners have stop signs on them, so if you stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ, every car will slow down as they approach you, and if you forget the stop sign, it's easy to misinterpret their intent.

I've learned so many valuable things in my travels.
-harry

Um....AZ has a law that the pedestrian has right of way no matter where they are. You can be in the middle of a block and the moment you step off the curb, traffic must stop.

We drove to Flagstaff in June, and got stuck in Winslow for about 3 hours. We had stopped at Petrified Forest and the winds were incredible. I don't know how we still have any paint on the car. We were getting ready to leave when one of the Park Rangers told us the interstate between Winslow and Flagstaff was closed due to the winds. We drove into Winslow anyway. The barricades were up, nearly every available spot in town had semis parked on it, and we then spent the next 3 hours sitting in a Denny's. The interstate had been closed since 10AM, and didn't reopen until about 7:30PM. One of the truck drivers in the Denny's mentioned that those "poor California folks won't be getting their Arkansas chickens on time".

We never did make it to Meteor Crater.

Meteor Crater is awesome! There's a "path" than goes down into the crater. You are warned not to go, but lot's of folks do anyway. My dad, my brother and I went when we visited in July 1968. Coming back up was a beotch! About halfway down I stopped to rest a but, and started throwing what I thought were pebbles down the crater wall, but soon discovered that what I thought were rocks were in fact sea shells. It was a great geology lesson for a 14 year old.

unfortunately frank a lot has changed since 1968.

now you can leave the main building on a guided half hour walk down the rim. no one goes below the rim unless they are a scientist or employee of the family that owns the crater.

Took these Saturday from FL 360 over Winslow. Didn't see any trucks though.

Attachments

• DSC00837.JPG
    DSC00837.JPG
    568.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00840.JPG
    DSC00840.JPG
    585.6 KB · Views: 68
unfortunately frank a lot has changed since 1968.

now you can leave the main building on a guided half hour walk down the rim. no one goes below the rim unless they are a scientist or employee of the family that owns the crater.

I was sure it had. Thanks for the update Tony. Below is a photo of my brother standing next to the remains of the drilling rig used in an attempt to find the main mass of the meteorite.

jgjz9s.jpg

Here's a panorama from the rim.

Attachments

• Meteor Crater Panorama.jpg
    Meteor Crater Panorama.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 49
Nothing special at all Ed. If you take off from Winslow it is right there.
Here is a pic I took climbing out.

Attachments

• 100_0174.JPG
    100_0174.JPG
    526.1 KB · Views: 47
Ed, if you do make it to CA, why not check out the petroglyphs at Anzo Borrego and that area.

First discovered by a pilot in the early 60s, they only make sense when seen from the air. AOPA had an article about it, circa 1964.

Um....AZ has a law that the pedestrian has right of way no matter where they are. You can be in the middle of a block and the moment you step off the curb, traffic must stop.
Great law. It's too bad that the vast majority of drivers have no clue that it exists....

Back