KCLM 221353Z AUTO 08003KT 10SM CLR 08/06
A2976 RMK AO2 SLP079 T00780061

Thanks

This metar was issued on the 22nd @ 1353 Zulu

Automated Report

Winds 080 @ 3 knots (east winds)

10 statute miles of visibility

Clear skies

Temperature 08 degrees centigrade/ Dewpoint 06 degrees centigrade (fog likely)

Altimeter 2976

Remarks: this reporting station has a precipitation descriminator hence the A02.

Sea Level Pressure 1007.9

Oh and the T00780061...I don't have a clue.

Oh and the T00780061...I don't have a clue.
Temperature 7.8° Dewpoint 6.1°

Generally a lot of info in the remarks is more geared toward meteorologists. For example PXXXXXX for precipitation totals.

Generally a lot of info in the remarks is more geared toward meteorologists. For example PXXXXXX for precipitation totals.
Good to know.

Truly! Most metar remarks leave me baffled. Perhaps there is documentation on decoding them somewhere, but I've learned a little more today. One day soon maybe we'll have them in plain English.

Meantime, I'm enjoying FU = smoke (from the French "fumar" I am told). ;)

I'd say I need the temp/dewpoint spread more than the meteorologists do on a low IFR day... :)

These things in this day and age should be in English. Waste of energy having to translate information.

Do you need it in tenths?

LOL probably not. Of course the meteorologists probably don't trust the sensors used down to tenths, either. A sign that the communications system standard was built to transport more accurate numbers than the sensors can actually provide accuracy-wise.

Do you need it in tenths?
Considering the dry adiabatic lapse rate is 3 deg C per 1000 feet, not having tenths gives you a resolution of 300 feet or so. Not quite good enough for instrument approach minima. Believe me, I care about the difference between a 300 AGL ceiling and 0/0.

Considering the dry adiabatic lapse rate is 3 deg C per 1000 feet, not having tenths gives you a resolution of 300 feet or so. Not quite good enough for instrument approach minima. Believe me, I care about the difference between a 300 AGL ceiling and 0/0.

And if you're flying in clouds and precip, the *dry* lapse rate probably doesn't apply... :)

And if you're flying in clouds and precip, the *dry* lapse rate probably doesn't apply... :)
It does below the clouds. Dry = not saturated. It doesn't mean zero specific humidity.

Even in precipitation, the air is not saturated. Just not in clouds or fog.

It does below the clouds. Dry = not saturated. It doesn't mean zero specific humidity.

Even in precipitation, the air is not saturated. Just not in clouds or fog.

Hmmm. Good point. Still usually it's more humid around said systems than not. Air doesn't have to be completely saturated to not follow the dry lapse rate.

But it's usually close enough for government work, no argument there. ;-)

No translation required. www.aviationweather.gov/gfa offers plain English data if you ask for it.

Bob
I think his point was that you shouldn't be able to get it in non-english, anywhere!

Yea, before you say it, I know, shorter, quicker to read for people who speak metarese, etc. yada yada.

Always been a complaint of a lot of pilots for years, and we all have bitched about it for years. Still the government doesn't simplify weather reports in plain ole English.

If you really want all of the in-depth info on Aviation Weather products, you can reference AC 00-45G, (Though they might be on "H" now.) It has all of the nitty gritty details on every Aviation Weather Service- Hence the title "Aviation Weather Services."

I did not know this. Thanks!
There is some interesting physics in that. The moist adiabatic lapse rate is different because additional energy is added by condensation as the air rises. That energy goes into warmer temperatures than you would have with unsaturated air, at the same altitude. Very roughly, the lapse rate is halved, making the air less stable. I'm sure you've noticed turbulence entering clouds.

Last edited:
Always been a complaint of a lot of pilots for years, and we all have bitched about it for years. Still the government doesn't simplify weather reports in plain ole English.
The FAA will change it so that everyone has to buy expensive equipment for their airplanes to display plain English weather reports.

The FAA will change it so that everyone has to buy expensive equipment for their airplanes to display plain English weather reports.

Probably so, and then it'll take them 20 years to launch it.

EFBs like Foreflight and Garmin Pilot translate METAR and TAFS automatically.

Could someone interpret this Metar?

KCLM 221353Z AUTO 08003KT 10SM CLR 08/06
A2976 RMK AO2 SLP079 T00780061

Thanks

KCLM: Airport you are reading the weather for
221353Z: 22nd day of the month at 1353Z
AUTO: No human intervention. Usually a non-towered airport or tower is closed
08003KT: Winds out of 080 heading (out of the east, approximately) at 3 kts
10SM: Visibility, in statue miles
CLR: Sky Cover (May also read FEW, SCT, BKN, or OVC, with the cloud cover given in AGL)
08/06 Temperature and Dewpoint, respectively, in Celsius
A2976: Current altimeter setting
RMK:Remarks
A02: Weather equipment has precipitation discrimination capabilities
SLP079:Sea Level Pressure (add a ten to the front. In this case 1007.9 milibars)
Not sure the last line

This metar was issued on the 22nd @ 1353 Zulu

Automated Report

Winds 080 @ 3 knots (east winds)

10 statute miles of visibility

Clear skies

Temperature 08 degrees centigrade/ Dewpoint 06 degrees centigrade (fog likely)

Altimeter 2976

Remarks: this reporting station has a precipitation descriminator hence the A02.

Sea Level Pressure 1007.9

But is that 080 direction measured from True North, or Magnetic North?

I'm sorry. I was trying to lead into one discrepancy that I've never been able to reconcile. ATIS reports winds in Magnetic Direction. METARs report winds in True Direction. I've never heard an ATIS that reported anything other than METAR published winds. One of those reports must be wrong. Who knows which one? I don't.

How are winds reported in ATIS; True or Magnetic?

When you need to know wind direction as it relates to your landing runway which would be best? True or Magnetic?

ATIS and AWOS/ASOS winds are magnetic north. ATC reporting winds are magnetic north. “Long-lines” reports, METARs, TAFs, Winds Aloft, etc. are true north. Wind direction for PIREPs is magnetic.

I'm sorry. I was trying to lead into one discrepancy that I've never been able to reconcile. ATIS reports winds in Magnetic Direction. METARs report winds in True Direction. I've never heard an ATIS that reported anything other than METAR published winds. One of those reports must be wrong. Who knows which one? I don't.
No worries. In that case I'm happy to answer. A quick rule of thumb is that if you read it, than it's true and if you hear it, than it's magnetic.

Metars, TAFs etc., are published in true headings

ASOS, AWOS, ATIS, ATC- relays winds in magnetic.

I understand that, but when ATIS says winds are 150 at 8 and the METAR reads winds 150 at 8, they cant both be in Magnetic and True direction, respectively.

I understand that, but when ATIS says winds are 150 at 8 and the METAR reads winds 150 at 8, they cant both be in Magnetic and True direction, respectively.

You're in Dallas where the magnetic variation is only 3°. The wind direction is rounded to the nearest ten degrees. Does that reconcile it for you?

Back