METAR/TAF within a radius?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Maybe I've just missed it - but is there a weather utility that will display the TAFs and METARs within a radius of a given airport?

Example - I want to see the reports of all reporting airports within 100NM of KXYZ. I guess I could use DUATS and select an area breifing, but that's kind of clunky. Any other options?

Thanks,
Matt

Maybe I've just missed it - but is there a weather utility that will display the TAFs and METARs within a radius of a given airport?

Example - I want to see the reports of all reporting airports within 100NM of KXYZ. I guess I could use DUATS and select an area breifing, but that's kind of clunky. Any other options?

Thanks,
Matt

Log on to CSC DUATS and select "Area" from the "Weather Briefing" "Standard Briefing" box. This will allow you to select weather information for aviation sites within up to 100 NM radius from any airport/navaid.

No problem. Go to this site. http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/ Select Metar or TAF tab, right under the tab is a selection for Interactive Java tool. This brings up a map of the US. Move your cursor around on the map to the area you want, by holding down the left button it allows you to make a box. The Metars or Taf's will appear in the box. Note the options under the map.

Thanks, all. I've used DUATS many times, but I was looking for something simpler. I've also used the ADDS system for a long time, but never noticed the Java tools. That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Edit:
Teller1900 - Thanks for http://maps.avnwx.com/ . It's way cool and also does what I'm looking for. I'm going to play with that one a little more since it also overlays radar wx along with airmets, ...

Last edited:
I love maps.avnwx.com ... I use it before every flight to back up my LockMart briefing. It even shows PIREPS and winds aloft, too! I just wish it did NOTAMS...

I love maps.avnwx.com ... I use it before every flight to back up my LockMart briefing. It even shows PIREPS and winds aloft, too! I just wish it did NOTAMS...

Pretty sure you're the one that introduced it to me on here a while back. I think I read somewhere that they're trying to include NOTAMs and TFRs, but I could be making that up.

If you purchase FLITESOFT flightplanning software you'll find it has the ability to display a broad coverage of METAR/TAF data (and ASOS/AWOS) on the route overview map. Live radar in motion can also be depicted. Pretty handy to determine the extent of wx conditions for a given area imho.

http://www.rmstek.com/

maps.avnwx.com -- exactly. Shows METARs and TAF, PIREPs and Winds Aloft within a radius of an airport, or within x miles of a route (try "OAK-SBA" for example). PIREPs now include pictures of reporting airplane type.

Also outlines TFRs, AIRMETs and SIGMETs. Also highlights stadiums TFRs based on known sporting events (rather than all stadiums all the time.)

Oh yea, right-click anywhere on the map, or on an airport, and get menu for NOTAMs, Area Forecast, and airport details (comms, runways, etc.)

I've been busy...

-Peter
AvnWx.com

maps.avnwx.com - I've been playing with it this week. I keep finding more and more features (like the area forcasts, notams, and more). The only problem I've had, and it's probably due to my browser settings or internet connection, is that it will occasionally fail to load a page or will have a long delay between when I select an item and when it takes effect.

It's pretty cool and definitely a resource that I'll be using.

FlightCentral.net has a few ways to get nearby METARs/TAFs:

(1) On each airport page, you get METARs and TAFs for arbitrarily nearby airports
(2) You can do a state view of all airport in Google Earth. FlightCentral loads in all the METARs for you.
(3) You can do a search of airports within a specified radius of any other airport.
(4) On the "Weather" page, you can specify text weather for any list of airports (and even store it as a Quick Link if you wish)

We also have Weather Widgets allowing you to have current METARs, TAFs, and/or Terminal Charts in your own website for any airport(s).

Not precisely what you asked for, but we're getting there.

www.flightcentral.net
www.flightcentral.net/fcntour
www.flightcentral.net/overview
www.flightcentral.net/widgets
www.flightcentral.net/googleearth

Back