Metal detecting…….Do you?

First hour in the books. Found two pop tops, a beer can, a broken "Chanel" logo of some sort, and a penny. We worked the back yard and have a long way to go. I did realize that working dirt, you really need a pinpointer to find the metal. We sifted through handfuls of dirt and it was right in front of us. With sand, you can sift it out or dunk it in the water to clean away the sand and find your prize. Field work is damn near impossible to see the metal when it's right in front of you.

Just bought a Garrett Poinpointer AT. That should speed things up.

You'd have been within $949.99 of breaking even, if you hadn't next bought the scoop, handle, and pinpointer. As it is, you're falling behind. :)

I have had thoughts of flying a bush plane to the end of a retreating glacier, land and detect for gold nuggets. When you see someone hiking towards you and looks as if they don't want you there, fly to another location a few miles away and resume detecting. It will take most of the day for that person to hike within a mile of you, then fly a couple more miles.
You don't have to fly away. You was there first. I think it's legal shoot claim jumpers.

You'd have been within $949.99 of breaking even, if you hadn't next bought the scoop, handle, and pinpointer. As it is, you're falling behind. :)

I'll post up a pick of the gold chains, diamond rings and Reals shortly. :fcross:

Darn it.!!

Whats a 1989 dime worth? It’s been waiting for us in the middle of the grass for years. My 7 years old lost his cookies when he found it. He’s rich! Just ask him.

The problem with metal detecting is permission. Lots of those guys/gals don't mind trespassing in pursuit of their hobby. If they find and take something, trespassing changes to stealing.

My grandparents' farm was just behind the Union lines of one of the major battles in the Atlanta campaign. They had a real problem with trespassers digging holes, taking stuff, etc. When confronted and asked/told to leave (pointing at one of many "no trespassing" signs) the rationalizations, push-backs, and even anger were jaw dropping.

We hit the beach today. Two tent stakes, a nickel, a dime, a wrapper of some sort, alum foil in a ball, a broken costume jewelry pendant with stones, and a real deal .925 stamped silver bracelet! We found ore!

Only $945 to go before breaking even.

Don’t fly to Dauphin Island Alabama to go metal detecting. While they do have a nice unattended airport next to town (and a restaurant will send a van to fetch you there) the numerous beaches and parks all prohibit metal detectors. It is kind of funny, actually, the signs announcing prohibited activities — the list always starts with “no metal detectors.” Apparently they’re really worried about them.

Don’t fly to Dauphin Island Alabama to go metal detecting. While they do have a nice unattended airport next to town (and a restaurant will send a van to fetch you there) the numerous beaches and parks all prohibit metal detectors. It is kind of funny, actually, the signs announcing prohibited activities — the list always starts with “no metal detectors.” Apparently they’re really worried about them.

Old crabby men with headphones on are really unsightly. Not sure if it’s the white New Balance sneakers or the pants pulled up just below their nipples that the governing body has really banned.

We got a few “good luck” and “find anything good” questions yesterday. When I told them we are digging up a lot of trash and taking it off the beach, people thanked us. Nobody scowled at us that I saw.

We got a few “good luck” and “find anything good” questions yesterday. When I told them we are digging up a lot of trash and taking it off the beach, people thanked us. Nobody scowled at us that I saw.

Or

This is a plastic detector. We are digging up all the plastic we find to save the local piranhas. If the piranhas eat the plastic they will become very aggressive and start attacking humans...

I worked a park today and found the motherload of coins. I’m am totally beaten down. I could not move forward more than a few feet before hitting at other signal. Got some trash, but my gawd, I think I dug 25 coins in 100yards. Got some cans, a chunk of scrap iron, two bottle tops, some steel junk, a Levi’s jeans rivet, and a 32 cal fired bullet. I made very little progress across the field. It is a treasure chest of nickels, dimes and quarters. I couldn’t get kids to dig anymore so we ended the day.

:D

I worked the beach today and a lady came storming up to me with a purpose. As I prepared to defend myself for being an ******* for some reason she began to beg for help. Her daughter took off her wedding ring for some reason and it was now in the sand.

Within seconds of hitting the spot I found it. They had been trying to sift the sand for over an hour before she saw me. They offered to pay, offered me beer, and couldn’t stop thanking me. I wouldn’t take anything but a thank you. The daughter was crying and wouldn’t let go of hugging me. It was to the point of being uncomfortable for sure.

I also found two tent stakes, quarter, a dime, a nickel, a penny, a sinker, some trash of some sort and dug a couple holes never fixing the target.

Last edited:
I done some detecting for ‘float copper’ in the Northern U.P. of MI. Besides the work detecting, a ‘bug net’ is about necessary late Spring to early summer. I was just free help, yes a ‘Minelab’ was the detector of choice.

I had a picture of average finds, can’t find it now, 15-25lbs mostly pure copper. This biggie at the Copper Rock Steakhouse in Indiana came from there.

3F3E2421-5EB5-44FC-9C95-88E792BA712F.jpeg

Dats a helluva penny Sourdough! What did that sell for?

Don’t know that one, big’uns have gone for over $10k. It can be surprising how heavy they are for the size. Some have gone to the scrap dealer, though with marketing, worth more as a ‘specimen’. There are plenty on eBay.

One sees a few & wants to go. Once they get past the bugs, digging neck deep in a hole will take the rest out of them.

Worked a park and got a shot ton of nails out of a wood chip filled playground! It was shocking how many nails were in it that had gone through a chipper. It had to be construction debris they used. Makes me question how that’s legal.

I moved on to the open parts of the park and found lots of coins. In a couple hours, it was about 30 coins.
What I’m getting to enjoy about it is just me, not being bothered (mostly) out in the fresh air just meandering around with no hurry to go anywhere. Getting off the couch has been nice.

What I’m getting to enjoy about it is just me, not being bothered (mostly) out in the fresh air just meandering around with no hurry to go anywhere. Getting off the couch has been nice.

This.

The couch will kill ya, slowly but surely.

I bought a top of the line White metal detector with my first SS check. Works great for finding dropped metal parts , Cotter pins half moon keys , nuts lock washers etc. out in the harvest fields. Hard to sort through to find small parts in the straw and dirt. Never found any thing of value else where.

A friend of mine wanted to work a 12 acre Alfalfa of mine here by the house . It took him all summer after the first cutting was off. He would work a few hours after work . He kept every thing he found in a coffee can. End of summer he stopped by the house to show me his treasures. Scycle sections , 1/2 pair of pliers , one 8" adjustable wrench , various sized nuts and bolts , a small horse shoe , beer tabs , hay rale or baler pickup teeth.

He had a Garret pin pointer that really worked well. So I also bought one.

Worked a park and got a shot ton of nails out of a wood chip filled playground! It was shocking how many nails were in it that had gone through a chipper. It had to be construction debris they used. Makes me question how that’s legal.

I moved on to the open parts of the park and found lots of coins. In a couple hours, it was about 30 coins.

We ordered like 40 yards of the stuff for footing in our riding arena. One of the horses ended up with a nail in the foot, so we got some metal detectors and went to work. If I never hear another "beep" out of one of those things again it'll be too soon.

Anyway, we found so much metal debris and nails after working about 25% of the area I called the vendor and had them come take it out and replace it with sand. Apparently their products liability coverage didn't cover vet bills.

:) You're reminding me of an industrial use of metal detectors that I put out of my mind. A friend of mine did some work in the control sections of a processing plant for one of the fast food burger places. They use them there, on the burger line, built into the conveyor belt system. Apparently looking for "ear tags and buckshot".

He had a Garret pin pointer that really worked well. So I also bought one.

I bought two of them. They really speed up the recovery. They call them the “Garrett Carrot”.

Made the journey to the beach today… kinda hard to swing with so much scenery. Managed to find 6 coins, an F14 Tomcat and the wings do fold, a few beer cans, two pull tabs, a tent stake and some chunk of rust covered metal. Saw maybe 4 others out swinging as well.

Y'know, I can see a metal detector being useful for screening the kid who comes to pick up your teenage daughter for a date....
:)

Did you find the logs, too, or are you going to have to have all the ADs performed again?

All we did is kick the tires and light the fires. It’s currently flying.

Back