Message preview

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
Just got new computers, one running XP pro and one with Media edition. On the old computer Win98 and at work, win2K, you get a preview of the messages when you mouse over the subject. This isn't happening with XP and IE6. Haven't found a setting to change this. It was nice feature and I'd like to get it working again. Suggestions?

Firefox is Garbage, only reason it survives at all is the malcontents that harbor irrational hatred and jealosy of Microsoft and its accomplishments.

I'm running XP Pro and IE6 and I get the little preview messages. I didn't set it up that way, it just happens.

wesleyj said:
Firefox is Garbage, only reason it survives at all is the malcontents that harbor irrational hatred and jealosy of Microsoft and its accomplishments.

:eek:

Say Whaaaaaaaaaa?

I've yet to have Firefox crash or hang on me. I've never had a malicious website work in Firefox.

Download management, tabbed browsing, popup blocker that comes WITH the browser... how long did it take for IE to follow in the footsteps of Firefox?

Of course, if your post was sacasm, I missed it :D

cwyckham said:
I'm running XP Pro and IE6 and I get the little preview messages. I didn't set it up that way, it just happens.
Me too. Every once in a while when windows is being cranky the preview goes away. I reboot and it comes back. Don't even have to sacrifice a chicken or bow and face Redmond or anything.

wbarnhill said:
:eek:

Say Whaaaaaaaaaa?

I've yet to have Firefox crash or hang on me. I've never had a malicious website work in Firefox.

Download management, tabbed browsing, popup blocker that comes WITH the browser... how long did it take for IE to follow in the footsteps of Firefox?

Of course, if your post was sacasm, I missed it :D

Ditto!

cwyckham said:

Thanks, at least I know it should work. So much is hidden anymore.

wesleyj said:

I'd like to hear why you feel that way.

I'm running XP Pro and IE6. I get the previews when I first login, but they sometimes go away and then come back.

I'm sure it's something within PoA software, not MS.

jangell said:
I'd like to hear why you feel that way.
Obviously I can't respond for wesleyj, but I can give my own input.

I don't think FireFox is "garbage", but I would say it might be a bit overrated. I'd also say that it's popularity is -- in part -- most certainly directly related to anti-Microsoft zealotry. But I'd say it's acceptance has mostly to do with the fact that IE is, well, junk.

I use FireFox pretty much exclusively after switching from IE, and I still have more or less the same problems with it: crashes, funky rendering weirdness, etc. Only with FireFox they may be somewhat more infrequent. Also, while people tend to believe that FireFox is more "secure", the reality is that in fact it generally has at least as many outstanding vulnerabilities at any one time than IE. Sure they may get patched faster and there aren't as many active exploits out there for FireFox vulnerabilities, but the "I'm safe because I use FireFox" mentality is foolish.

Anyway, all in all, if you want to make the simplistic FireFox/IE comparison, it's a pretty easy case to make -- but not a really balanced argument, and it makes you look like an anti-Microsoft "I'm sticking it to the man!" blowhard. To evaluate FireFox fairly, you have to compare it to the entire panoply of browsers out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers), an exercise in which FireFox's supposed supremacy won't wind up being nearly as clear as so many believe it is.

I make my living because of Microsoft, and I'm right up there in the IE is bloated junk camp. Firefox has its issues, but one of them ISN'T sucking as bad as IE. I don't like using a browser that, if a website has an issue, can lock up my desktop (connection between iexplore and explorer).

So back to the original question. The preview is done with a title= attribute in a <td> tag (table cell). It works fine with Internet Explorer on my XP SP2 system, with all the latest downloadable updates.

I'm curious why it doesn't work on yours. What version of IE are you using?

Perhaps it is a Pop-Up blocker setting. Can you check those?

Joe

Areeda said:
So back to the original question. The preview is done with a title= attribute in a <td> tag (table cell). It works fine with Internet Explorer on my XP SP2 system, with all the latest downloadable updates.

Joe

The tooltip won't show up if the window doesn't have the focus. Not sure if that's what he's experiencing, but it might be. Eric, can you click on the title bar of the window (make sure that IE has focus), then pause the mouse over the subject, and see if you see the tooltip?

ReverendSlappy said:
I use FireFox pretty much exclusively after switching from IE, and I still have more or less the same problems with it: crashes, funky rendering weirdness, etc. Only with FireFox they may be somewhat more infrequent. Also, while people tend to believe that FireFox is more "secure", the reality is that in fact it generally has at least as many outstanding vulnerabilities at any one time than IE. Sure they may get patched faster and there aren't as many active exploits out there for FireFox vulnerabilities, but the "I'm safe because I use FireFox" mentality is foolish.

No it's not. It doesn't have ActiveX which pretty much stops every spyware infection website in it's tracks. You are more secure in Firefox. You also have thousands of people reviewing the Firefox code. Firefox says "This is what makes our browser work". Microsoft isn't the same story. Who knows how many huge holes are in their products.

IE7 is a step in the right direction. But it feels bloated and slow to me.

Troy Whistman said:
The tooltip won't show up if the window doesn't have the focus. Not sure if that's what he's experiencing, but it might be. Eric, can you click on the title bar of the window (make sure that IE has focus), then pause the mouse over the subject, and see if you see the tooltip?

Also, some applications when running will disable tooltips and other mouse-over events for all other apps. For example, some versions of MusicMatch Jukebox will do this. Does the problem occur no matter what else is running?

ejensen said:
I'd like to try but no time right now. At least you didn't suggest a Mac.:D
I did post the suggestion from a Mac ... close enough? :cheerswine:

er... but on a Mac running Safari, so forgive my hypocrisy! Daytime laptops run windoze (2k and XP) with Firefox

Last edited:
Areeda said:

Joe

I have the lastest version of IE6 on XP Pro SP2. I'm thinking too that another program is stopping it. I turned-off the pop blocker from windows and google. I'll keep digging deeper with stopping other programs. There's quite a bit of stuff built into XP and too much is auto-configed. I haven't found where they hide all this yet. Thanks for the tips.

I do see the showthread.php?t=xxxxxx when I mouse over the subects.

OK, I'm on the home machine now and have disabled pop-up blockers, firewalls, everything I can think of. Still no title preview.

Bottom line show the url.

Last edited:
I rolled the system back to a point right after I got it. IE behaves normally. I compare setting and all are the same. So something changed in the registry. Boy, do I hate this. So something I loaded on both machines changed the IE settings in the registry. I'll keeping digging when I have time.

Does anyone know exactly what the "message preview" funtion is called? I've tried a few searches for fixes and anything with IE and message preview points to Outlook stuff ...

gkainz said:
Does anyone know exactly what the "message preview" funtion is called? I've tried a few searches for fixes and anything with IE and message preview points to Outlook stuff ...

Thanks, I'm having the same trouble trying to find a clue.

gkainz said:

From the Windows GUI they are displayed using "Tool Tips", the HTML attribute that is being displayed is "title".

Back