Message from the President of the Scam of the Month Club

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by LesGawlik, Sep 14, 2021.

1. LesGawlik

LesGawlik Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Les
    Messsage deleted

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display name:
    Lachlan
    Perhaps you’re not ready to handle the responsibility of having a credit card yet. Moving forward, don’t open any more emails from Nigerian princes in exile who desperately want to send you millions of dollars in cash.

tawood likes this.
  3. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display name:
    El Conquistador
    Unfortunately it happens to the best of us.

Zeldman likes this.
  4. Daleandee

Daleandee Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    [​IMG]

Ted and Zeldman like this.
  5. schmookeeg

schmookeeg Administrator Management Council Member

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    Pretty solid victim-blaming there.

I've seen some VERY good aviation scammers provide me photos, logs, and other stuff on request -- and it was only because I found the item (an engine in my case) on a plane currently listed for sale -- that I uncovered the mess -- by contacting that selling broker. I also insist on in-person meetups now, even if I have no intention of it -- just to suss out who is BS and who is not.

>< that close for me, for an engine-sized lump of lost cash.

6. LesGawlik

Display name:
    Les

7. Daleandee

Daleandee Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    To be straight, I'm not blaming the OP at all as there are some really slick (and sick) folks out there using some very clever new approaches to play a very old game. Sometimes the lesson learned is worth the cost and the OP bringing this up might very well make a few of us pay a little more attention to the details of the deals ...

TCABM likes this.
  8. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display name:
    El Conquistador
    I didn’t feel I was blaming the OP either. I thought I was sympathizing. Thanks for setting me straight.

9. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Billy
    My wife got a text this morning from ''Municipal Services Bureau'', a ''collection agency'' working on behalf of the Gallup, NM Magistrate stating that if she didn't pay her fine then a warrant would be issued for her arrest. The text conveniently states that she can use her checking, savings or money market account, or charge it to a MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Visa credit or debit card.

Apparently she did not pay her ticket she received for ''Aggravated Driving While Under the influence of Liquor or Drugs''. No date given or location of where the ticket was issued. Amount to be paid - $491.00

I am gonna have to ask my wife who can barely tolerate taking a sip out of my one glass of wine after dinner about her nighttime activities while I am asleep at home...:lol:

Huckster79 and X3 Skier like this.
  10. topgun260

topgun260 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Topgun260
    I don't understand how this is Venmo's fault? Venmo states on their website that it is for friends and family only and that they do not recommend it to be used to purchase items or services.

On the other hand meeting in person doesn't always work either as people have been robbed and/or murdered when they show up to an in person meet.

11. LesGawlik

Display name:
    Les
    Message deleted.

12. tawood

tawood En-Route

Display name:
    Tim
    So what have you learned from these experiences?

Or to quote President Bush, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you can't get fooled again."

13. topgun260

topgun260 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Topgun260

14. LesGawlik

Display name:
    Les
    I've bought all kinds of things, including expensive avionics, on line with great experiences. These two are the first problems I've had.

What I've learned is to not post things here. You guys can step on your own landmines. I'll just snipe at your misfortune.

What a bunch of condescending pryx.

JoshN and X3 Skier like this.
  15. MooneyDriver78

MooneyDriver78 En-Route

Display name:
    Tom
    I always recommend asking for more pictures, especially the rear where the serial number is. I’ve been told you can report stolen equipment to Garmin so it can’t be upgraded or installed by authorized Garmin dealers.
    FYI , I will have a FS210 to sell after my upgrade which pending backlog equipment orders.

16. kyleb

kyleb Final Approach

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    I just figure all online transactions have a certain risk. If I'm dealing with Amazon or Home Depot, I'm not gonna get scammed. Some random internet dude? I'll risk $25 or $50 bucks, but probably no more than that unless either I know you personally or I recognize you from a long term online presence. For instance, there are several posters in this thread who I'd trust based on a long term posting history here. Random guy with 50 posts who's selling a Garmin 430W at a really great price? No so much.

17. tawood

tawood En-Route

Display name:
    Tim
    I worked fraud investigations for many years...my question was to see if you had tips, or maybe "clues" to those considering making the same type purchases, that may help others avoid such things. Most of my victims in the cases I have investigated said things like, "I had a feeling..." then they'd describe what caused "the feeling". You were scammed twice, so I thought you may have had such feelings...
    But now I don't care. In fact, I can go to bed knowing that once again, there rarely is an innocent victim. With your attitude, I'd call your victimhood karma.

18. benyflyguy

benyflyguy En-Route

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    Sucks to hear. I got scammed once on a tv on eBay. Learned my lesson. Looking back there were signs I should have picked up on. I was naive. Keep a sharper eye now

19. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display name:
    Lachlan
    Victim blaming? Naw, I figured a guy who called himself the president of the scam of the month club had a pretty solid sense of humor. I was wrong. I’m wrong about that all the time. At least twice in this thread. :)

20. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    weilke
    There is a chance it was the same scammer both times.