Mesquite Tx.

Mike Smith

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fresh Prince of PrattVegas
i found out today that my son will be moving there very soon. I have never done a 500+nm XC, so I'm thinking this might make a good trip. Any tribal knowledge on flying into that area? Non IR PP in a Cherokee 140.

I have a few friends based there. Nice airport, Class D, under Class B. Easy tower to work with, with friendly controllers. I'm non-IR PP in a Cessna 140!

Well, to that area. Is there a better choice? If that is the best choice, then I will go there. Just thought I would put it out there in case there were any "gotcha's" or other info I need to know.

Well, to that area. Is there a better choice? If that is the best choice, then I will go there. Just thought I would put it out there in case there were any "gotcha's" or other info I need to know.
That's not a bad choice at all. Good fuel prices, runway in perfect condition, etc. Lancaster has a cafe and is uncontrolled. Not sure about others in the area.

That's not a bad choice at all. Good fuel prices, runway in perfect condition, etc. Lancaster has a cafe and is uncontrolled. Not sure about others in the area.
I heard the cafe closed last month. I think I heard it from troy.

Coming in from Alabama, the Class B is no real issue. It's at 4K MSL and you'll be well below that for landing.
Lots of airports in NE Texas, so you may see a few other planes. Flight following may be a good idea.

When are ya headed this way?

Ive flown to HQZ a few times from Starkville, MS. Im originally from there and look to be flying there this weekend! Its pretty easy honestly and the controllers there are great. Lots of traffic though, every time Ive been ive been given traffic alerts cherokee1234 traffic alert traffic alert turn left heading xxx now. So be prepared! I normally leave stf and go to ELD for fuel and a break then on to HQZ. Flight following is great in that area. Heck ill fly with ya there anytime or you with me.

Afternoon thunderstorms, TRSA if you want the extra help in East Texas, loads of student pilots at American Flyers, and if you need to, many many spots to set 'er down without a red handle.

When are ya headed this way?

Not sure Mike, my son just found out he is heading there in the next couple of weeks.

Ive flown to HQZ a few times from Starkville, MS. Im originally from there and look to be flying there this weekend! Its pretty easy honestly and the controllers there are great. Lots of traffic though, every time Ive been ive been given traffic alerts cherokee1234 traffic alert traffic alert turn left heading xxx now. So be prepared! I normally leave stf and go to ELD for fuel and a break then on to HQZ. Flight following is great in that area. Heck ill fly with ya there anytime or you with me.

Thanks for the info and the offer Vinny. I'll get in touch with you when I start planning this.

I grew up in Mesquite, although its changed a bunch over the years. I flew my first plane out of HQZ when it was Hudson Airport in 1979. Used to crew with a Dr that rebuilt AT-6's. Spent a lotta time stripping cables in the hell hole and sandblasting and zinc chromating parts. Good times!

Flying in here is pretty seamless if youre on flight following. In the Mesquite area HQZ is the place to go, but like someone else said, there are a buncha small airports in the area.

Me and AggieMike are based at DTO on the NW side of the Metromess. Give me a hollar when youre going to be in the area if you need anything

Mesquite is a very friendly airport. I usually go there when we visit my brother-in-law who lives in Rockwall. Easy to get in/out. Cheap fuel. They are the kind of folks who will give you the courtesy car overnight if you show up on short notice after the rental car office shuts down.

Used to crew with a Dr that rebuilt AT-6's. Spent a lotta time stripping cables in the hell hole and sandblasting and zinc chromating parts.
Pretty sure Doc is still there. If we're talking about the same guy, he now has two AT-6s, a bunch of Buckers, two Lancairs (Legacy and Evolution), and a lot more planes!

Good stuff! Thanks everyone, I will update as soon as i have an idea of when I will be going.

Pretty sure Doc is still there. If we're talking about the same guy, he now has two AT-6s, a bunch of Buckers, two Lancairs (Legacy and Evolution), and a lot more planes!

I'd be surprised if it was the same guy, but I'll have to check. Would be neat to see him again. He actually had two T-6's when I was working with him and we were working on a third. Didnt have any other planes back then.

NOTE: Nope, not the same guy. My Doc, Gerald Swayze, died in 2003

Back