Merlin (Laptop Internet) review

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Ok, I just got my Aircard (Merlin s620) from sprint. I allready have a cell account with them so the monthy charge is only 59 bucks for unlimited surfing.
What this does: I can surf the internet now at almost broadband speeds anywhere i can use my cell phone.
Pros: Are you kidding me? Internet anywhere!
Cons: Havnt found any yet.

This thing rocks!
April and I have been paying much more for hotel rooms that had wifi service so we...err I could surf online. Now i can happily accept a cheaper motel 6. the savings on hotel rooms alone pay for the service. Airports...I am connected even if they are not! latest weather is availabe to me! Man i love this.
If you have been contimplating a purchase of one of these cards..I say DO it. Best investment i have made in a long time.

That sounds really interesting - if I travelled more I would probably look into it. Its rare enough for me though, that it wouldn't be worth the cost.

And ditto what Jean said about security!

My Cingular MEdiaNet* using EDGE* is an extra $20 (19.99?) a month over the cost of the phone plan for unlimited Internet acess. To me that extra $240 a year is concerning. If you think $59 a month is OK...lemme guess...your employer is paying the bill? ;)

So far in my testing it's been slightly inconsistent while using the web browsers in the phone, and I haven't done a speed test yet, but it's definitely looking to be in the 300Kbps range or higher. EDGE is supposed to able to hit the 500-700K range. That's very usable. I can get email from multiple accounts using the phone alone and it has 3 web browsers including Opera. It should do a decent job with DUATS.

I haven't got my round tuit yet to try using the phone link to access the net from an external laptop using Bluetooth.

*Think they have enough made up names? They have another MEdia-something package which is merely SMS messaging for the teens, just to confuse you more.

Question is (as it must always be): does it work from the air?

Michael said:
Ok, I just got my Aircard (Merlin s620) from sprint. I allready have a cell account with them so the monthy charge is only 59 bucks for unlimited surfing.
What this does: I can surf the internet now at almost broadband speeds anywhere i can use my cell phone.
Pros: Are you kidding me? Internet anywhere!
Cons: Havnt found any yet.

snip....
These are great products (Verizon has a similar one) as long as you are in/near major metro areas. Elsewhere, your speed can drop to 40-70kps with 144 kbps bursts ... not very impressive, so check the coverage maps to avoid surprises.

Back