Mental health and private pilot

A

awj93

Can I still get my private pilot license if I have a history of depression and anxiety? I've been medicated and have seen a therapist for this.

I went to see a HIMS doctor in the past to get cleared but I didn't follow through with the testing because it was too expensive for me at the time.

No change in your path to a medical certification. Sorry, but medication/therapy means you are on record of having medical issues. You have to go through the HIMS routine to get the medical certification.

This does not mean that it is impossible. Go for it if the expense of the testing is now affordable!

-Skip (Not a MD)

Have you considered Sport Pilot? No FAA medical certificate required, just a valid driver's license. If the HIMS path is out of your price range, Sport would still get you into the sky flying some pretty decent planes. If you're okay with only one passenger and daytime VFR, it might be all you need.

There seems to be a very narrow "sweet spot" regarding mental health for pilots. You have to be sane enough to satisfy the FAA but crazy enough to want to fly.....

I went to see a HIMS doctor in the past to get cleared...
The path the HIMS AME laid out for you is likely still the way to get it done.

Also, certification will have a dependency on what medications you are taking. Some are permitted, others are not. So comparing what you are taking for anxiety and depression against the permitted list will be a required step.

A lot depends on details, but as you may know, expect about a year of work and $5-10k expense.

Have you considered Sport Pilot? No FAA medical certificate required, just a valid driver's license. If the HIMS path is out of your price range, Sport would still get you into the sky flying some pretty decent planes. If you're okay with only one passenger and daytime VFR, it might be all you need.
Since he has seen an HIMS doctor and discontinued the process, it sounds like he has an unsuccessful medical certificate application on his record, in which case sport pilot will not be an option until he succeeds in getting a medical certificate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back