Men Portrayed As Morons

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Has anyone else noticed this? Every where you turn now men are portrayed as morons, bumbling idiots incapable of making the simplest decision or putting together intellectual speech. Women must come to the rescue in some cases to save the family from the mistakes the men in their lives are about to make, as usual. Really? :rolleyes:

Certainly, men make mistakes, we all do. Some men are better at things then others, got that. But the vast majority of commercials and sitcoms portray men as insensitive Neanderthals.

Why is this? Women do most of the purchasing for the family, got it. Are women really swayed by this type of advertising? Does it make tthem feel superior to buy a product who's advertising portrays men as simpletons?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...TV-love-portray-men-idle-feckless-idiots.html

Why do advertisers pick on men? Because we won't organize and fight back like women. Well, I think we need equality in advertising and we need to start boycotting products who's advertisers think men are morons. We need a national movement to restore men's dignity! :idea:

http://www.askmen.com/daily/austin_60/65_fashion_style.html

What say you?

Last edited:
No. There is plenty of bumbling from both genders. It is a stupid way to try to promote a product. Just vote with your dollars on the ads you like/dislike.

No. There is plenty of bumbling from both genders. It is a stupid way to try to promote a product. Just vote with your dollars on the ads you like/dislike.

Totally agree Peggy about voting with your bucks, but most of the " shopping" is done by women. Obviously, this is a generality. Clearly now most commercials are portraying men as idiots.

http://patrickwanis.com/blog/how-stupid-are-men/

Last edited:
I have a friend who worked for one of the big, national, advertising firms in L.A. I have also noticed that many advertisements, and TV shows portray men as bumbling, incompetent, weak minded, selfish, etc. Far different from earlier television where many men were the respected "head" of the family.

He used the "women are the purchasers" argument also. I guess they have research to back that up, but I don't see how most, objective women would respect a product sold based upon making men look bad. It does seem to be widespread though.

Totally agree Peggy about voting with your bucks, but most of the " shopping" is done by women. Obviously, this is a generality. Clearly now most commercials are portraying men as idiots.

http://patrickwanis.com/blog/how-stupid-are-men/

I have a friend who worked for one of the big, national, advertising firms in L.A. I have also noticed that many advertisements, and TV shows portray men as bumbling, incompetent, weak minded, selfish, etc. Far different from earlier television where many men were the respected "head" of the family.

He used the "women are the purchasers" argument also. I guess they have research to back that up, but I don't see how most, objective women would respect a product sold based upon making men look bad. It does seem to be widespread though.
I certainly don't respect an advertiser who disrespects the public and I do avoid buying their products.

This has been going on for a long, long time.

There's a certain template the ad/ entertainment industry follows. Some common types:

• Christians are zealous callow morons.
  • City people are saavy and quick-witted.
  • Country people are bumpkins.
  • The midwest does not exist.
  • An ignorant character invariably has a southern accent.
Of course LifeTime movies re populated exclusively with cheating husbands.

I noticed many advertisers doing this a long time ago.

This has been going on for a long, long time.

There's a certain template the ad/ entertainment industry follows. Some common types:

• Christians are zealous callow morons.
  • City people are saavy and quick-witted.
  • Country people are bumpkins.
  • The midwest does not exist.
  • An ignorant character invariably has a southern accent.
Of course LifeTime movies re populated exclusively with cheating husbands.

And not just in advertising, it's fully spilled over into colloquial speech patterns. A coworker was describing a trip to rural PA where I'm from (he's from California, in Buffalo, NY now) and gave his best farmer voice. It was a little offensive given that I've never actually heard anyone sound as unintelligent as he implied, but I got over it.

I do not understand why we can pick on a certain demographic and not another, be it city/ rural, male/ female, etc. In my observations men do only slightly less shopping than women, and equal shares if the older generations are discounted. My wife and I shop together most of the time and see many couples doing the same. Kyle

That is spot on.

I will add that men making fun of men can be very funny, in a Blue Collar Comedy kind of way.

I have quietly taken note of this as well. It's petty and stupid, not to mention slightly hypocritical, but life goes on, and people who's perceptions are swayed by television can find others like them, but not me. "I do this real BONEHEAD thing it's called THINKING..."(Carlin quote, out of context but relates to my feelings)

This has been going on for most of one generation, all of the last generation.

When I was a kid, the heroes in the cowboy movies were men with outstanding character and moral principles. They treated their woman, and horses, well, most all animals, with respect. They fought bravely, usually defending someone else, and always for principled reasons.

I loved Roy Rogers, he could take on a whole barroom of bad guys with nothing but his fists, and not only win, he would not get a spot of blood on his light colored cowboy shirt, that was always clean and neatly pressed, even after days of being on the trail. Then to top off all of this heroic fighting, his white hat would not be even slightly jarred out of place.

Our heroes then did not kick a guy when he was down. They never shot anyone in the back, always face to face in a "fair" fight.

They were not cowards under any circumstances, they did not lie, cheat, or steal.

As a little kid, I would leave the Saturday Matinée feeling like one of those heroes, I tried to emulate them as much as I could. As I grew up, if I did get into a fight, I never, nor would my opponent, kick him when he was down. We would wait until our opponent fully recovered himself, and the fight would continue until there was a clear winner.

I tried to be as honest as I could, even if it meant a whipping from my dad. We also would take our punishment like a "man." The tears would never come until the lecture about how disappointed he was in me, and how I had let him, and my mother down.

So, as a result of all those Saturday Afternoon Cowboy Movies and WWII war movies, where the American Soldiers and Sailors were as brave and clean living as cowboys, I honestly believe me and my friends grew up to be reasonably decent guys.

I think the change started years ago, when the hero in some movie, I can't recall which, did something like telling the horrible bad guy, and he was a horrible bad guy, (our bad guys wore black hats) that if he put down his gun and come out, he wouldn't shoot him. So the guy comes out, and our hero shot him, and of course he did deserve to be shot. The dying bad guy has a look of disbelief on his face and started to say, "you said you wouldn't shoot me". Our hero looks him dead in the eye and says, "I lied".

I could not believe that had just happened right in front of my eyes, in the movies. I almost died myself laughing, so did everyone else. Of course that line got used into the ground in dozens of following movies and TV shows. It marked a change in how heroes acted.

Then the feminization of America kicked into full swing until now, the only leaders are woman and minorities. All judges are black females, unless they are crooked judges, then they are white, middle aged males.

It is politically incorrect to portray woman or minorities in roles that are in any way demeaning, or portrays them in anything less than a positive light. This is part of the movement so that woman and minorities will be inspired to grow up and become leaders, instead of followers. All movies use that formula, as do all TV shows, and commercials. Even the printed comics follow the same doctrine.

This leaves only white males that can be portrayed as crooks, fools, con men, cowards, and all around general losers. In the very rare instances where a white male must be shown in a positive light, usually only for historical correctness reasons, then it must also be proved beyond the slightest doubt that he never could have accomplished such feats unless he had been inspired or assisted by a woman or a minority.

Ever walked down a street lately, looked at who the losers are? What race or gender is the most prevalent holding the little please help, and G-d bless corrugated cardboard signs on street corners? In the name of political correctness, we have deliberately raised an entire generation of white males who are unsure of what their role in life should be. Whatever it is, unless they were lucky enough to come from a good family, it is not anything that resembles leadership, character, or heroism.

I'm not saying that all white males are now losers and cowards, many are not, but I do feel there are too many that are, and most of that can be blamed on what some felt, when it first all started, as payback.

I think the awareness is starting to sink in, but what can be done now? Should we start making all media in such a way as it offends nobody? We are stuck, and the only real losers are white males, because they are the only fair game left. After years of this, they are probably to stupid to care anyway.

-John

At an anniversary party a while back, The wife was tell about how dumb her husband was.

After a while the Husband spoke up, he said " Yep, I'm a freaking idiot, I married a woman that isn't grateful for all the pay checks I brought home, But she spent them anyway,"

you could have heard a pin drop, and the Party was over

I made a pretty good living writing and producing ads for a number of years. The way I saw it was that you need something to cut through the clutter, to be entertaining as well as selling the product. The use of self- deprecating humor can be an effective way to do that. Unfortunately, many attempts are done in poor taste, or are just bad concepts to begin with. I don't believe that intelligent women in the impotant demographics see their men as stupid, or would appreciate someone else calling their men stupid. It would reflect badly on their choices. That said, I'm reminded of he line from Animal House, "You can't call our pledges stupid, only we can call our pledges stupid".
You guys ascribe way too much nefariousness to the process of making ads...in the end, it's all about what yhe client signs off on. My eperience was they nearly always made the wrong choice. Good clients are very hard to find.

So here I was, formulating my thoughtful reply, and John just stole nearly every bit of my thunder. Sigh...

I've been griping quietly to my family about this very thing for several years now. According to the media, if you're a white, Christian male, you obviously must be at best incompetent, uneducated, slightly bigoted (though not even aware of it, of course), and in general incapable of making your way in the world unless surrounded and supported by the much smarter and better women and minorities you need to keep you from fatally stabbing yourself with your safety scissors.

If I were a black male I'd be far more insulted. According to movies, TV, commercials and advertising you're obviously either a ghetto rapper, a murderer, a drug addict or the modern reincarnation of Amos & Andy. At best you're just a complete idiot. You want a crash course in racism? Watch BET.

If your family consists of a happily married couple with kids, with the husband working full time and making a decent living... well, obviously you must be well meaning but backward, or some sort of religious nutjob, or Hubby is a tyrant, or those sunglasses are hiding a black eye, or you're just a simple anachronism - the Cleavers living in the wrong era. Or all of the above.

I can identify ways in which I was misled and grew up with some screwed-up ideas, despite my parents' continued best efforts, based on the TV and movies of the 1970s. I have worked hard and continue to work hard to overcome that. I've also worked hard to try to keep the more recent tripe form warping my own kids' minds, with varying degrees of success. I really fear for the health of our culture over the next couple of generations.

Why do advertisers pick on men? Because we won't organize and fight back like women.
Interesting that this has been going on for a long time, as someone else said, a generation or two, back when the advertisings execs were almost all male.

So here I was, formulating my thoughtful reply, and John just stole nearly every bit of my thunder. Sigh...

Yep, he pretty much said it all.

But to add, 97% of male prison inmate are other than white.

We are stuck, and the only real losers are white males, because they are the only fair game left. After years of this, they are probably to stupid to care anyway.

-John

Maybe John, we are simply comfortable with who we are, and don't give a rat's a-- what others think.

Has anyone else noticed this? Every where you turn now men are portrayed as morons, bumbling idiots incapable of making the simplest decision or putting together intellectual speech. Women must come to the rescue in some cases to save the family from the mistakes the men in their lives are about to make, as usual. Really? :rolleyes:

Certainly, men make mistakes, we all do. Some men are better at things then others, got that. But the vast majority of commercials and sitcoms portray men as insensitive Neanderthals.

Why is this? Women do most of the purchasing for the family, got it. Are women really swayed by this type of advertising? Does it make tthem feel superior to buy a product who's advertising portrays men as simpletons?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...TV-love-portray-men-idle-feckless-idiots.html

Why do advertisers pick on men? Because we won't organize and fight back like women. Well, I think we need equality in advertising and we need to start boycotting products who's advertisers think men are morons. We need a national movement to restore men's dignity! :idea:

http://www.askmen.com/daily/austin_60/65_fashion_style.html

What say you?

Because women are responsible for more spending decisions; the fact that most men are morons just helps the cause.

We may go to the mall together, but statistically, women are responsible for more purchasing decisions than are men, and we're more often just along to push the cart.

If you watch with the product category in mind, you'll notice that most of the "dumb husband" ads are for household products, or for those used almost exclusively by women. If you look at ads for insurance, investments, Mercedes Benz automobiles, or other products for which men are more often the decision-makers, you'll see men portrayed almost exclusively as diligent, intelligent and competent.

Beer commercials are the other extreme. Women will almost always be portrayed as dim-witted, self-absorbed sex objects, and men as well-meaning regular guys with blue-collar values.

The tendency to stereotype is deep in our wiring. Ad writers aren't paid to advance social progress, they're paid to effectively tap emotions for commercial gain. If they succeed in tapping emotions which are deeply rooted and beyond our conscious control, resulting in more product sales, they're paid even better. Stereotypes work well for this.

Last edited:
Whatever the reasons for this mass brain washing, it has had at least one positive affect on my life. I have no clue what they are advertising since I have not watched television in years, other than the news. Since I have retired, I hardly watch the news anymore. I haven't bought a newspaper in a month. The only time I look at magazines anymore is when I'm stuck in a waiting room.

I have a home theater, but I get to pick my movies. I buy them, I've got a huge library of them.

I am convinced most all television programing is designed to be viewed in barrooms. The intellectual level is about that of a drunk, who hopes to get laid by cheering for the chick.

John

My most feared question: "What did I just say?" after being spoken to during a daydreaming moment. Maybe we are idiots... :)

If we are not, they are doing everything they possibly can to convince us we are. If you walk down a busy sidewalk, it appears to have worked, judging from the backward baseball caps and the baggy pants whose owners think their knees are their waist. Buffoons with shaved heads doing all they can to look tough. Tattoos on their necks and faces. They are morons. They have been convinced of it, and it proves beyond the slightest doubt, you are who you think you are.

I saw a photo someplace, probably here on POA, of one of the products of the our "lets raise white male to believe they are morons" campaign. He was at a sports stadium. He had his baseball cap on backward, holding his hand at his forehead to keep the sun out of his eyes so he could see.

-John

If we are not, they are doing everything they possibly can to convince us we are. If you walk down a busy sidewalk, it appears to have worked, judging from the backward baseball caps and the baggy pants whose owners think their knees are their waist. Buffoons with shaved heads doing all they can to look tough. Tattoos on their necks and faces. They are morons. They have been convinced of it, and it proves beyond the slightest doubt, you are who you think you are.

I saw a photo someplace, probably here on POA, of one of the products of the our "lets raise white male to believe they are morons" campaign. He was at a sports stadium. He had his baseball cap on backward, holding his hand at his forehead to keep the sun out of his eyes so he could see.

-John

Well put.

Our kids will live up to -- or down to -- our cultural role models. Thankfully, my son's role models have always been military heroes -- but plenty of his peer's aspired to be Eminem.

-John

You're right anybody who doesn't look, dress and act like Ward Cleaver must be a moron... :confused:

Well put.

Our kids will live up to -- or down to -- our cultural role models. Thankfully, my son's role models have always been military heroes -- but plenty of his peer's aspired to be Eminem.

Eminem must have something figured out.. Maybe he works part time for ATC?

eminems-home-rochester-michigan.jpg

Heck, all you have to do is read Spin Zone to realize that men are morons.

You're right anybody who doesn't look, dress and act like Ward Cleaver must be a moron... :confused:

Ward Cleaver was convinced that his attire was the correct attire. He would make adjustments to it that suited the occasion.

Todays youth, not all, but many of them, dress pretty much as I described in previous posts, along with the assorted haircuts and permanent body markings that may also include various disfigurements through piercing and stretching, much like the primitive peoples of the Amazon, New Gina, Africa, Australia and a few other areas mostly south of the equator. I am sure there are also adjustments made to their appearance that they deem suitable to various social events.

These young people, like Ward Cleaver, also are convinced that their appearance is appropriate, that is what this thread is all about.

-John

Eminem must have something figured out.. Maybe he works part time for ATC?

Now THAT was funny! :lol:

It's sad that a guy like Eminem would have to take a major cut in pay to work in a control tower. Wow, what does THAT say about our society? :mad2:

Answer: We value Slim Shady over Pushing Tin. What a weird world we live in.

These young people, like Ward Cleaver, also are convinced that their appearance is appropriate, that is what this thread is all about.
I thought it was about men being portrayed as morons.

I guess what we can say about Ward Cleaver's wardrobe vs. the wardrobe of the youth of today is that men are just as drawn to making fashion statements as women. :D

No need for me to chime in. Listen to John.

You guys are seriously going to sing in harmony that tattoos, piercings and someones wardrobe makes them a moron?

You guys are seriously going to sing in harmony that tattoos, piercings and someones wardrobe makes them a moron?

Clothing is just style; it comes and goes.

Tattoos and piercings do tend to indicate a leaning toward the moronic clan, in my experience. There are exceptions, of course, but I'm trying to remember the last intelligent tattooed/pierced guy I spoke with at the check-in desk....

...Nope. Not coming up with any.

Interestingly, I can rattle off a bunch of intelligent tattooed/pierced women.

How strange. I wonder why that is?

Perhaps not all are morons, but as far as I am concerned, anyone who permanently disfigures themselves as a means of fitting in, or being cool, self expression, etc., certainly brings into question their ability to make sound judgments, which can also be a reflection of their intelligence. Intelligence is not related to education, don't get confused.

-John

Back