Memphis, TN....Any Cool Spots?

Flyparrothead

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyparrothead
I am thinking of doing a long cross country for my commercial license from Charlotte, NC to Memphis, TN. I have never been to Memphis and it looks like a cool place to spend the weekend i.e. have some good BBQ, listen to some good music, hang out on the river. Has anyone been to any good airports around the area, and if anyone has an suggestions for things to do, I would be all ears.

BTW, I love this forum. I have learned a lot from previous post. It is nice to have such a good group of people dedicated to aviation.

Flyparrothead:

Memphis is a good choice. You can spend some time on Beale Street if you like blues, great barbecue and hang out at Tom Lee park on the river. I recommend two airports: Dewitt Spain or West Memphis Municipal (KAWM). Dewitt Spain is closer to downtown, 3,800 ft or so runway. West Memphis has 6,000', ILS great facilities. If you get there while the FBO is open, they can courtesy car or rent you a car (probably better). I recommend staying in downtown Memphis so you can walk an not worry about having to drive after a beer or two. Dewitt Spain has a lot of flight training but I am not sure if they will take you downtown or if you will need a cab.

Dewitt Spain is where you want to land. Mem-App is real good about letting GA into the Class B and DS is a great airport with no tie down fee for overnight. Or at least it was that way last year when I was there. They will call you a cab to downtown. That is where you want to stay. Once in town there is some great stuff, Beale St. for music, Miss Polly's for friend chicken, The National Civil Right Museum is a must too. I did go on the Gibson guitar facotry tour and that was neat. A short walk and you can get to Sun and Stax records. Sun is still original and you can stand on the floor where the greats such as Wilson Picket, Johnny Cash, Howlin' Wolf and some guy called the King recorded. Stax has been rebuilt but to be there is still really neat.

Thank you both for the advice. I looked up both of those airports and it looks like Dewitt will be the one I am going to fly too. Thanks again guys!!!!

I am thinking of doing a long cross country for my commercial license from Charlotte, NC to Memphis, TN. I have never been to Memphis and it looks like a cool place to spend the weekend i.e. have some good BBQ, listen to some good music, hang out on the river. Has anyone been to any good airports around the area, and if anyone has an suggestions for things to do, I would be all ears.

We flew into Olive Branch, MS when we visited Memphis. It's a very, very nice airport. (And the FBO guys were HUGE fans of our aviation video website!)

I'm a blues guitar fan, so Beale Street was an absolute gas, with some of the best music on the planet wafting onto the street from dozens of venues. Sun Records (stand where Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded their biggest hits) was fun, too, and, of course, Graceland is there, too. (We never did go inside, but we drove past and caught a glimpse of Elvis' private aircraft collection.)

Then, if you want to take a walk on the serious side, visit the Civil Rights Museum near the motel where Martin Luther King was murdered back in 1968.

Memphis is a great city to visit. I could spend a week on Beale Street alone...

I was in Memphis about a month ago. Here are a few pictures of Beale Street and Graceland.

Attachments

• Beale (1) [800x600].JPG
    Beale (1) [800x600].JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Beale (2) [800x600].JPG
    Beale (2) [800x600].JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Graceland (1) [800x600].JPG
    Graceland (1) [800x600].JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Graceland (5) [800x600].JPG
    Graceland (5) [800x600].JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Graceland Convair [800x600].JPG
    Graceland Convair [800x600].JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Graceland Jetstar [800x600].jpg
    Graceland Jetstar [800x600].jpg
    48 KB · Views: 14
Don't forget about the West Memphis airport in Arkansas across the river from Downtown Memphis. They have great line service and the city just built a new FBO. The big plus is that it has an ILS whereas DeWitt Spain does not. Hertz provides rental cars. I keep my plane at West Memphis and love the facilities.

If you are looking for barbecue head over to the Rendezvous and get a big plate of ribs and pitcher of beer. It's my favorite joint! It's hard to find, located in an alley, so ask a local give you directions. Heck, let me know when you are coming to town and I may just join you.

Don't forget about the West Memphis airport in Arkansas across the river from Downtown Memphis. They have great line service and the city just built a new FBO. The big plus is that it has an ILS whereas DeWitt Spain does not. Hertz provides rental cars. I keep my plane at West Memphis and love the facilities.

If you are looking for barbecue head over to the Rendezvous and get a big plate of ribs and pitcher of beer. It's my favorite joint! It's hard to find, located in an alley, so ask a local give you directions. Heck, let me know when you are coming to town and I may just join you.
Welcome to the board!

I like Rendezvous BBQ but I actually think Interstate BBQ is better.

But, the big reason I don't go to Rendezvous is because it's in a basement. A basement with only one visible exit. In the basement...One exit. Against all modern building codes. If you go, get a seat near the stairs and take your own fire extinguisher!!!
:yikes:

Back