Memphis.. Huntsville.. Jackson..

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
So I am in Nashville, TN and going to take a day trip. Looking for a place less than 250nm from here.

Considering Huntsville, AL...memphis, louisville...

I have never travled around in this area so any destination advice is appreciated. Basically looking to go eat lunch, tour around for 2-3 hrs and fly back to nashville.

Also considering birmingham, al.. St louis is a stretch, but maybe..

So I am in Nashville, TN and going to take a day trip. Looking for a place less than 250nm from here.

I have never travled around in this area so any destination advice is appreciated. Basically looking to go eat lunch, tour around for 2-3 hrs and fly back to nashville.

I vote Memphis, you can land at Dewitt Spain and it's not too far from Downtown, 2-3 hrs in downtown Memphis is always fun. Gus' Chicken is worth jeopardizing your medical for :D, Rendezvous (Tourist Trap just thougt I'd warn you before a BBQ confused Texan comes along and says how wonderful it is), Blues City Cafe, can't go wrong with food. Take an Elevator trip to the top of the Peabody, The Civil Rights Museum, Where MLK died, is there. Usually something going on there.

I was in Louisville a few months back, I'm sure there's interesting things to do there, I didn't find them, but I wasn't looking. But if you go, head into the YUM center and swing left when you walk in the front door, a 35' picture of my wife's head is on a support beam in there :)

I haven't been to Huntsville in years.

Last edited:
Also considering birmingham, al.. St louis is a stretch, but maybe..

I grew up exactly halfway between Memphis and Birmingham, I can't think of a reason i'd go to birmingham, I always disliked going there. Smith Lake just outside of B'Ham is a very nice lake and fun if you had a day or two.

Just spent a night in Memphis. We also really enjoyed to visit. We didn't eat BBQ though, because we knew they would be so focused on the sauce they'd neglect the meat.

Signed: Confused Texan:)

Just spent a night in Memphis. We also really enjoyed to visit. We didn't eat BBQ though, because we knew they would be so focused on the sauce they'd neglect the meat.

Serenity Now, Serenity Now Serenity Now

There is a great greek restaurant/bar in the nice part of jackson, with good gyros and fries, outdoor deck, and tons of hot girls. When I was in flight school, my friends and I took our T-45's to the field there (for our instrument ccx solos), borrowed a loaner van, had a great time chatting up the local talent, and flew back to KNMM. Sadly we couldn't partake in happy hour as we had to fly the RTB leg. Good time though, very convenient. Wish I could remember the name of the place, it's been quite a while now.

ROFL... Now you've done it. ;)

I THINK "Sammy's Touch & Go" restaurant is still open at Pell City, AL. and IF it is, I'd highly recommend it.

Not sure how easy it is to get ground transportation from HSV, but the Space and Rocket Center is there. Haven't been there since elementary school, but we've driven past it a few times recently, and it looks like they done quite a bit of upgrading to the facilities.

Not sure how easy it is to get ground transportation from HSV, but the Space and Rocket Center is there. Haven't been there since elementary school, but we've driven past it a few times recently, and it looks like they done quite a bit of upgrading to the facilities.

I was there about...4 years back or so. Maybe 5. It was definitely worth a trip if you're into that sort of thing.

Oh, and if Huntsville is within reach then Moontown should be also. That's a place that should be on everyone's bucket list to visit some Saturday...as should Coeur, Mo.

Last edited:
Mud Island in Memphis is a pretty neat attraction, cooler when they had Memphis Belle there. If you spend the night, the music in the bars and cafe's on Beale Street can't be beat. And, of course, Graceland. I had a great weekend there.

I live in Memphis and agree that flying into Dewitt Spain and staying downtown is an easy and fun layover. Disagree on the comments about the Rendezvous; it's been open for generations and the ribs are fantastic. They are different, dry ribs, so they may not appeal to some. Blues City Cafe on Beale St. has great ribs. Beale St. is no French Quarter but its a lot of fun. I'd be happy to join you all if you have not already made the trip. I work downtown and live in midtown so I spend a lot of time down here. Hope you fun!!

Tullahoma, TN is just north of Huntsville. You can taxi to the Beechcraft Museum.

Back