Memphis downtown tourist ideas?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Looking at a possible road trip that might take us (two couples) through Memphis in a few months. There's a chance we could spend a couple days there.

Any suggestions or recommendations on a downtown stay? Hotels, music, bars, restaurants? Ideally, everything would be within walking distance of the hotel.

Arrive is a nice hotel downtown… @simtech stayed there a little over a week ago. Flight and Erling Jensen are really good if you’re feeling something relatively fancy. Hueys is a great burger and brew spot, and there’s always the numerous rib and BBQ places.
As far as things to do, you can always hit up a Grizzlies or Red Birds game, go to Bass Pro at the Pyramid, do Beale Street (Itta Bena is a great restaurant there), tour the Gibson factory, visit Sun Studios, Graceland, etc.

It’s a really nice place, you just have to know where to go, like any big city. You’re safe as long as you stay downtown.

Memphis bbq is definitely a must.

This whole trip was made up over 1 or 6 drinks. But there’s still a chance it could happen. We were looking at a bbq and music road trip, hitting Memphis and Nashville, and any roadside bbq joint we can find.

“Flight” restaurant downtown is a must-go for us whenever we’re there. Not aviation - more like flights of wine. Smaller portions but not really tapas - all are mini “complete meals”. The food was great

Yep we stayed at the ARRIVE Memphis and it was super trendy and cool. Bar down stairs as well. Yes outside of the downtown area it can get sketch. Hwy 78/Lamar st is sketch. Saw some street walkers, always a welcoming sight haha ugh. But let's be honest, I'm from Dallas originally and plenty of places there you dont want to be at.

I've had bbq at central bbq and it wasn't any more special than anywhere else..bbq is bbq unless your talking Texas bbq because it's beef there..

You will have fun and it will be safe. The bass pro is really cool inside the pyramid!

Have ribs at The Rendezvous

The Hard 8 at KSEP may be on my $100 BBQ list, but The Rendezvous definitely tops my $500 BBQ list.

I like Corkys better than rendezvous, but they’re both institutions and worth visiting. In addition to the attractions already mentioned, the Memphis zoo is quite good, we really enjoyed the animals and displays.

upload_2023-1-15_7-52-17.jpeg
upload_2023-1-15_7-53-18.jpeg
upload_2023-1-15_7-54-19.jpeg

April says you picking Corky's over Rendezvous might lose you a cabin at Rough River.

Bass Pro pyramid is kinda cool if you want to overlook the city/river.

Stay at the Peabody. It's not that expensive compared to other downtown locations. Get a good seat and some drinks in the bar around 4:30 so you can watch the ducks being walked.

In addition to the usual Beale street attractions, I'd recommend the Civil Rights Museum. There's a good barbecue place across the street when you get hungry half way through.

Back