Memphis Class B

durkinm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SPUD 54
I am planning a flight from middle Georgia (PXE) to northwestern Arkansas (SLG). A direct route will take me through the Memphis Class Bravo. Does anyone know the best way to transition from SE to NW? What are the odds of getting cleared for Victor 159? Please respond if you have specific knowledge of the MEM Class B. I am instrument rated and current and have a ton of experience in the ATL Class B including numerous landings at Hartsfield in a C-172 (T-41), PA-28-161/201.

I'm a low time pilot so take my advice with a grain of salt:

I've been through Memphis class B numerous times vfr and have never had any trouble whatsoever. I've flown directly across the runways north to
south at 7,500 twice. And have been though the space just west of the runways both directions at various altitudes. The controllers appear to be extremely helpful.

My guess is that there are certain times a day when the fedex traffic is heavy and it might be more complicated.

ML

It's been awhile but Memphis ATC was very helpful when I was there with a wonky transponder. Signature FBO was $$$ but my pax was former Sig employee so we got fees waived by some smooth talking.

Edit: looks like you aren't planning a stop. Good. File what you want, stay high and off centerlines. Sleepy Bravos and some not so sleepy can give you what you want. DFW always said screw you sorta like I hear Chicago does. Not their fault so much as it's too fricken busy to deal with span cans. Houston is almost polar opposite and they seem to go out of their way to accommodate general aviation.

Last edited:
Hi durkinm.

Memphis controllers are great. Just file what you want and come on over. Please post here when you get back home if your experience with Memphis is anything but great. I am under MEM Class B and the controllers are always super helpful.

Memphis is so quiet these days that unless you're out there during FedEx time (unlikely), you're going to get "approved as requested" for anything short of buzzing the tower.

Memphis is so quiet these days that unless you're out there during FedEx time (unlikely), you're going to get "approved as requested" for anything short of buzzing the tower.

Yep! Heck, if even makes sleepy class C airfields look like Atlanta Hartsfield! It's not as bad as Cinnci! THAT place is a ghost town. Before they tore down the island concourse that place looked like a textbook post zombie horde airport.

Back