Memorizing VFR Minimums

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
I've always had an easier time retaining conceptional information, such as aerodynamics or how an aircraft's systems work, than other people I know. I've always had a much more difficult time retaining pure information, such as a particular aircraft's V speeds, than other people I know and study with. As with a lot of people, memorizing VFR Minimums has proven to be a challenge.

I was busy trying to memorize them tonight, and a pattern stood out to me. This works well for me because it's in the form of a process, and limits the rote memorization. I'm posting this in hopes that it might help other people who learn the way I do.

wxZ8z.png

Consider each line a separate test. If it applies, make that change to the default 3/152.

Last edited:
Ummm, I can memorize a few simple numbers in seconds.
I quit on your stuff at the cryptic 3 divided by 152.

For me, it's easier to commit to memory than the following.

Everyone's different, though. I'll process your refund.

F52tS.jpg

And 3/152 or "three 152's" is common shorthand for 3SM, 1000 feet above, 500 feet below, 2000 feet horizontal.

5/111, similarly, is 5SM, 1000', 1000', 1NM

It was always easier for me to just remember 3 SM and 500/1000/2000 and then the exceptions:
1. Above 10K 5 & 1/1/1
2. below 1200 in class G clear of clouds
3. day in class G 1 mile.
4. class B, clear of clouds.

I've always had an easier time retaining conceptional information, such as aerodynamics or how an aircraft's systems work, than other people I know. I've always had a much more difficult time retaining pure information, such as a particular aircraft's V speeds, than other people I know and study with. As with a lot of people, memorizing VFR Minimums has proven to be a challenge.

I was busy trying to memorize them tonight, and a pattern stood out to me. This works well for me because it's in the form of a process, and limits the rote memorization. I'm posting this in hopes that it might help other people who learn the way I do.

wxZ8z.png

Consider each line a separate test. If it applies, make that change to the default 3/152.

I like it. Easy to visualize the graph from memory after you've stared at it a bit.

wxZ8z.png

I think there's an error on your chart or I'm not reading it right...

You have B and Low Day G listed together as CoC, but they each have different visibility requirements. Not sure how your chart accounts for B being 3 miles and low day G being 1 mile.

3 Cessna 152's for low (below 10K).
5 F-111's for high.

That's worked for me for a very long time, although maybe having flown F-111's makes it easier for me.

It was always easier for me to just remember 3 SM and 500/1000/2000 and then the exceptions:
1. Above 10K 5 & 1/1/1

Yep, me too! That's pretty much what the chart is showing. You start with 3-5/1/2 and then each line is an exception you apply if it's true. The only difference, I think, is that your list leaves out a couple of technicalities that may exist (especially in the mystical land of written and oral exams).

I think there's an error on your chart or I'm not reading it right...

You have B and Low Day G listed together as CoC, but they each have different visibility requirements. Not sure how your chart accounts for B being 3 miles and low day G being 1 mile.

Each line is an IF/THEN test that you apply.

So, you start with 3SM and 1/5/2 and change either the vis or cloud clearance with any of the three tests that applies.

For your examples:

Class B
  • Start with 3-1/5/2.
  • Only Test #2 applies, so you change the cloud clearance to CoC
  • Result: 3SM-COC.

Class G, daytime, below 1200, below 10,000
  • Start with 3-1/5/2.
  • Test #2 applies, change just the visibility to 1SM (giving you 1SM, 1/5/2)
  • Test #3 applies, change cloud clearance to "Clear of Clouds"
  • Result: 1SM-COC

If, in the example above, Test #3 didn't apply, you would be left with 1SM-1/5/2... (which is Class G >1200, Below 10,000).

If you do that that (start with 3-1/5/2 and apply whichever of the three tests is relevant) it will give you a technically correct, exam-worthy answer every single time.

For some, it may be easier to just go ahead and memorize the big chart, for me, it's easier to memorize the smaller chart and then use it as a workflow.

3 Cessna 152's for low (below 10K).
5 F-111's for high.

That's worked for me for a very long time, although maybe having flown F-111's makes it easier for me.

Yea, that's how I learned it initially too (and I haven't flown F111's, let me know if you get your hands on one and can give me some dual).

I have to take a written and oral exam soon though, so I needed a simplified way to come up with anything weird situation that may exist.

Last edited:
I was busy trying to memorize them tonight, and a pattern stood out to me. This works well for me because it's in the form of a process, and limits the rote memorization.

I find it easier to remember them almost exactly the same way as you, but I use a more visual approach.

Start with 3-152 (for most cases, i.e. B, C, D, E and Night-time G), the four exceptions being 5-111 for high (>10,000), 3-COC for Class B, and then 1-152 for High-G in the day, and 1-COC for low G in the day.

I like thinking about it this way because I can easily associate a reason for each of the four exceptions. 3-COC, for example, makes sense in a Bravo space because EVERYBODY is in communication with ATC, etc...

Here's my diagram:

Airspace%20and%20VFR%20Minimums.jpg

1. Above 10K 5 & 1/1/1

Mine is pretty similar.

I find it easier to remember them almost exactly the same way as you, but I use a more visual approach.

Start with 3-152 (for most cases, i.e. B, C, D, E and Night-time G), the four exceptions being 5-111 for high (>10,000), 3-COC for Class B, and then 1-152 for High-G in the day, and 1-COC for low G in the day.

I like thinking about it this way because I can easily associate a reason for each of the four exceptions. 3-COC, for example, makes sense in a Bravo space because EVERYBODY is in communication with ATC, etc...

Here's my diagram:

Airspace%20and%20VFR%20Minimums.jpg

Nice. Mind if I use this?

If I had that bad of a time memorizing VFR minimums or Vspeeds or whatever, I would just take Brandon's graphic, or another graphic for instance, print it out, laminate it, and keep it with me in the plane. Or just google it on my phone where ever I was.

If I had that bad of a time memorizing VFR minimums or Vspeeds or whatever, I would just take Brandon's graphic, or another graphic for instance, print it out, laminate it, and keep it with me in the plane. Or just google it on my phone where ever I was.

Yea, I have them on my kneeboard. That's my preferred method as well. I'm trying to get them memorized prior to my written oral exams.

Back