mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Borrowed from another board:

Here's a toast to those who've gone before,
Who've given their lives in both peace and war,
Defending the freedom others take for granted.
May we never forgot to toast those who can no longer toast with us

:cheers:

arlingtonfeature.jpg

Was up at the pool BBQing for my birthday last night, and this millennial twit wishes her friend a happy memorial day..... I was SEETHING inside.. I come from a military family, have MANY military and former military friends. This weekend is more for honoring and remembering our war dead rather than an excuse to party and booze it up.

Anyone that served in the military should stand up and stand proud.

Sadly, not all our heroes can stand up.

SAHNC_photo_15.jpg

I wonder if the flags fly at foreign military cemeteries today. My grandfather was KIA in Germany, and I believe was buried in Belgium.

I wonder if the flags fly at foreign military cemeteries today. My grandfather was KIA in Germany, and I believe was buried in Belgium.

If it's an American Cemetery overseas, the answer is yes. Small US flags at each gravestone and usually a ceremony as well. It's very moving; I've been at a few in Europe for Memorial Day ceremonies and never not seen a crowd of foreign nationals and Americans there.

Now, I can't speak for all other nations, but I've never seen cemeteries for countries on the other side. Can't say they don't have them, but I've never heard of or seen one.

Like TCABM said, flags are just part of it. They have many foreign dignitaries and special events honoring the war dead over there. It is a moving experience.

I've literally flown into Meuse-Argonne (WWI) during an annual event. The grounds are absolutely immaculate and to see over 14,000 American grave stones at one place was staggering. I never even knew we had Americans in charge of these cemeteries over there. An amazing place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meuse-Argonne_American_Cemetery_and_Memorial#

I never even knew we had Americans in charge of these cemeteries over there.

As far as I know, every American cemetery is run by Americans - it's considered ours. It is interesting to visit one. I went to the US cemetery in Luxembourg where Gen Patton is buried. He's at the front, facing his men.

Luxembourg_American_Cemetery.jpg

Just around the corner is the German cemetery. Battle of the Bulge casualties were about 3:1. The German cemetery has about 3x the graves of the US, so that ratio seems about right. It's an interesting contrast. The German gravestones are black. I didn't want to visit that cemetery, so I've only seen it in pictures.

Last edited:
When my dad was stationed at Clark Air Base in the mid-50s and there is a very large cemetery just inside the main gate. From what I gather it is still maintained and celebrated on days like Memorial Day. I was just a kid but I remember being in awe of seeing it.

I lived on Ft Leavenworth during high school. As odd as it my sound, I always thought it was peaceful to either walk or drive through its national cemetery.

maxresdefault.jpg

The price has been cruel to pay; hope we can make it count. . .

I don't know if anybody on the forum geocaches ...but it's pretty fun to an extent. The coolest thing is it gets you out and lets you see some pretty nice places. One of the ones we did was in a Civil War Cemetery. Made for a pretty cool history lesson and just an overall great feeling to stand there and look at the tombstones. Also would be a good reason to do some flying if you were looking for an excuse.

Back