Memorable POA rides

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
To go along with the "POAers you have flown with / met" thread, I thought I'd start a memorable POA rides thread. Ok, ok, I'll go 1st!

• Riding in the Extra 300L with Chip, even he hooted and hollered when I put it on edge and pulled some 6g nearly 90* banked turns. What a plane, what a nice guy!
  • Riding with Greg in the 185/195. Just like riding in a pre-war era Caddy, Lincoln, or Chrysler, it's luxury from a bygone era.
  • Riding with Steve in the IAR, I remember burning my leg on that scorching hot center tunnel. Is Steve still around?
  • Bruce letting me sit left seat and take the Seneca around the patch a few times, my 1st and only twin time.
  • Last but not least Ed Guthrie, who upon hearing that Brent and I were interested in Mooneys, let us each take a few laps around the pattern in the left seat while he coached us on what speeds to hold to properly land. That ride pretty much resulted in us getting our 201.
  • EDIT: Lance Flynn, you also planted the Mooney seeds, I forget which Gastons it was when you gave me a ride to/from CHA to Gastons. That was great!

What rides do you remember fondly?

In no particular order
  • Riding in the back of Dave S.'s King Air to Gaston's (and laughing at Kimberly when she gushed about overflying Paris)
  • Being in the right seat for the ride home from Gaston's
  • Flying with Jesse in the Malibu as we were in a two ship formation with Kent's Mooney.
  • Having 6PC along for a PnP trip to BGD, and him holding on to the door frame while chanting "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" as I executed a major right wing low forward slip from mid final to landing. (there is one of his well executed write ups about that flight in the archives of this board)
  • Ride to Cedar Mills with Wayne Bower and his shiny C185

Bill, aren't you forgetting one? :rofl:

Neil Armstrong, Apollo 11. It was great.

Bird Dogs are great.

Bird Dog flown by former VN FAC who never went above 100' AGL and even then I think he wished he could be lower, was an e-ticket ride.

Course reversal to RTB was a wing over that topped out around 300' AGL and went right straight back down.

He said he "just needed to warm up the oil" and offered me a ride as a 18 year old wandering the ramp on a summer day nosing in open hangar doors to see who and what was inside.

Didn't know what he was doing was illegal nor probably all that bright, but I could tell he'd done it a million times.

Still remember his name. Wouldn't ever tell who it was unless he was dead. For all I know he may be by now.

Stuck around and chatted while he changed the oil and handed him tools.

That guy knew low level and that is all he knew. Heh. Maybe I was young and stupid but I wouldn't trade that ride for the world.

Always smile a bit whenever I hear the song "treetop flyer" after that ride.

Back