Members Only forum, continued

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Ron Levy said:
Also, as mentioned by Jesse above, this thread has gotten so huge that it is no longer useful to communicate your feelings to the MC. Therefore, I'm closing it. If folks are still concerned about the issue, please start a new thread here in Site Feedback and Support so we don't have to go back through over three hundred posts to figure out what you want, and how many of you want it.

Well, I'm probably the only person stubborn enough to keep asking for it. I guess I should have thanked my mom for that yesterday, too.

Ron Levy said:
flyingcheesehead said:
Scott, for the 56,801,327th time - I like to talk to my friends. I would like to occasionally do so without talking to the whole world.

That's what PM's are for. Don't post anything here or on any other web discussion site (including Purple -- anyone can register) that you don't want read by anyone you didn't choose to have read it.

Okay, apparently a clarification is in order.

By "friends" I mean those of you that inhabit this board.

The PM system is restricted to 5 or 10 recipients at a time and is ill-equipped to handle discussions of the type I would like to have with people here, but not the rest of the world.

Examples:

* Flights in airplanes I don't own - That'd be all of them - where I may want an opinion on something that might be harmful, for example, and I want to learn without ticking off the owner of the aircraft

* Discussions about TSA and DHS - I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually troll the internet and put dissenters on the no-fly list, since they do not need to justify anything they do to that list.

* Anything else that we want to share among the community here, but we don't want to end up on Google for any old schmuck to not only read, but to find really easily.

The proposal, to clarify: Add one more forum to the list. Call it the "Twilight Zone" or whatever you wish. Make it invisible to guests and new members with less than 5 posts. All other rules apply as they would in any other non-SZ forum. I say 5 posts mostly just to simplify things from a technical aspect, as there is already a group defined for people who have 5 posts (that enables the ability to attach files) and thus would be simpler to set up. A possible alternative would be a Spin Zone style setup, where the forum is invisible until someone goes and adds a group or whatever. (I wonder if Scott Migaldi is still reading this message...)

I fully realize that this will not STOP anyone who really wants to see these messages from finding said forum and said messages, and I'm perfectly OK with that - If it's *THAT* big of a secret, then it shouldn't be posted. That's not the kind of material I'm talking about. I'm talking about things that I'd rather not see on Google, but I have no problem with them being semi-hidden/semi-public as I've detailed above.

Thank you.

Well, I'm probably the only person stubborn enough to keep asking for it. I guess I should have thanked my mom for that yesterday, too.

Okay, apparently a clarification is in order.

By "friends" I mean those of you that inhabit this board.

The PM system is restricted to 5 or 10 recipients at a time and is ill-equipped to handle discussions of the type I would like to have with people here, but not the rest of the world.

Examples:

* Flights in airplanes I don't own - That'd be all of them - where I may want an opinion on something that might be harmful, for example, and I want to learn without ticking off the owner of the aircraft

* Discussions about TSA and DHS - I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually troll the internet and put dissenters on the no-fly list, since they do not need to justify anything they do to that list.

* Anything else that we want to share among the community here, but we don't want to end up on Google for any old schmuck to not only read, but to find really easily.

The proposal, to clarify: Add one more forum to the list. Call it the "Twilight Zone" or whatever you wish. Make it invisible to guests and new members with less than 5 posts. All other rules apply as they would in any other non-SZ forum. I say 5 posts mostly just to simplify things from a technical aspect, as there is already a group defined for people who have 5 posts (that enables the ability to attach files) and thus would be simpler to set up. A possible alternative would be a Spin Zone style setup, where the forum is invisible until someone goes and adds a group or whatever. (I wonder if Scott Migaldi is still reading this message...)

I fully realize that this will not STOP anyone who really wants to see these messages from finding said forum and said messages, and I'm perfectly OK with that - If it's *THAT* big of a secret, then it shouldn't be posted. That's not the kind of material I'm talking about. I'm talking about things that I'd rather not see on Google, but I have no problem with them being semi-hidden/semi-public as I've detailed above.

Thank you.

I predict a prompt response to it this time....sometime in early 2010. :D

Kent, the easy solution is to simply post everything in the Spin Zone - it is shielded somewhat from the bots and POA is happy to hide it as far down the hole as possible.

Kent, the easy solution is to simply post everything in the Spin Zone - it is shielded somewhat from the bots and POA is happy to hide it as far down the hole as possible.
Erf.

I agree with Kent's suggestion, and the SZ is a lousy substitute: I'm not subscribed there, and won't be.

The purple board is another lousy substitute. I don't want to have to follow yet another forum, no matter how good it and its people are.

>* Discussions about TSA and DHS - I wouldn't be surprised if they
> eventually troll the internet and put dissenters on the no-fly list, since
> they do not need to justify anything they do to that list.

In the 90's, one enterprising FAA person took usenet postings on a NPRM (I forget which one but it may have been the braindead proposed AD on Piper wing spars) and, in effect, submitted them as NRPM comments. I was not pleased.

I might as well post it on the Purple Board at that point. I think more blue boarders are members of Purple Board than Spin Zone...

But... What Jay said. I don't want to join another board (*this* group is the group I want to talk to!) or go in SZ. I'm "subscribed" to SZ but haven't been in there in at least a couple months.

My somewhat sardonic point is that so long as the MC is willing to create a forum with features which are close to what you are requesting for negative reasons, you might as well take advantage of it, since they seem disinclined to do so for perfectly reasonable and positive reasons.

Erf.

I agree with Kent's suggestion, and the SZ is a lousy substitute: I'm not subscribed there, and won't be.

The purple board is another lousy substitute. I don't want to have to follow yet another forum, no matter how good it and its people are.
+1, though I am subscribed to the PB. I just don't have nearly enough time to monitor that board and this one too.

OK, OK, let me try to move something along

They have a word for that in the DSMIII I think ;)

The only problem with that idea is that you end up with forum duplication. PoA would have open Hangar Talk and Quasi-closed Hangar Talk aka the Twilight Zone.

A far better idea, and one i have tried to kick off before, is to select a few of the forums and make them private aka non-searchable. Leave only a couple oopen to the searchbots to make those happy that want the forums to be searchable by the bots.

They have a word for that in the DSMIII I think ;)

:rofl:

The only problem with that idea is that you end up with forum duplication. PoA would have open Hangar Talk and Quasi-closed Hangar Talk aka the Twilight Zone.

Yeah, kind of like how we have an open Hangar Talk and a Quasi-closed Hangar Talk aka the Spin Zone. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

Yeah, kind of like how we have an open Hangar Talk and a Quasi-closed Hangar Talk aka the Spin Zone. :rolleyes:
Not at all. SZ is a topic specific forum. It is for non-aviation political and religious discussion. Hangar Talk does not allow those topics so no duplication should occur.

Even though those two forum have different topic orientations there is duplication. Having an open and quasi-closed Hangar Talk would cause even more of those types of issues.

Not at all. SZ is a topic specific forum. It is for non-aviation political and religious discussion. Hangar Talk does not allow those topics so no duplication should occur.
One day you'll get the definition of what SZ is for right...

Non-Aviation Political and Religious topics are automatically SZ. That does not constitute the limit of SZ's intent.

This thread, for example, with the level of heated debate, is rapidly becoming SZ fodder.

One day you'll get the definition of what SZ is for right...

Non-Aviation Political and Religious topics are automatically SZ. That does not constitute the limit of SZ's intent.

This thread, for example, with the level of heated debate, is rapidly becoming SZ fodder.
I'll believe that when I actually see the MC move stuff like that into the SZ.

the MC doesnt move threads into SZ anymore.
The MC NEVER moved a contentious thread into the SZ that was NOT also non-aviation political or religious.

Still today the description on the SZ states that they will move threads
The Spin Zone "The Spin Zone" is the forum for discussions that touch on non-aviation related topics of a potentially highly charged nature. Non-aviation related topics on Politics and Religion are automatically "Spin Zone" topics, and other non-aviation related topics may be moved here from Hangar Talk at the discretion of the Pilots of America Staff.
So if they really changed policy they need to clean up the description. But we are getting off topic about the real subject of if and then how PoA should be made more private.

Back