Melanoma- a PSA

Initial Fix

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Initial Fix
Hey friends.

Long story short - I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last fall. After my oh crap thoughts, I called my primary who is also conveniently my FAA doc (and Sr HIMS AME). He told me exactly what to ask and what pathology was needed for my medical post surgery (ouch). My dermatologist was already familiar with what was needed which really helped, and helped calm my concerns. Frankly at that point I didn’t care about flying, just getting better in was the goal.

Today was my medical. I walked out with my new class 2 medical in hand. In no small part to simply asking what was needed. My doc shared that others haven’t planed ahead or asked for guidance, and had challenges getting their medical. Read that as $$$$$ to get their medical.

My public reminder to everyone to talk your FAA doc early and often if something pops up of concern. I’m sure @bbchien would agree.

I was surprised my melanoma was as easy to certify as it was, too.

Awesome! Congrats on beating cancer, and also on getting the certificate. I lost a good friend to melanoma about 20 years ago. The sad part is that he had it before. He had been following up with his oncologist, but not a dermatologist, and wasn't for whatever reason getting regular mappings of spots or whatever. So he had a new one, and didn't notice it in time. Very easy to treat from what I understand, but if you don't it can be a big problem.

Melanoma surgically excised with wide margins, no problem. Metastatic melanoma to brain,problem.

Clarke level 6 or less or less than 0.75 mm penetration of the basement membrane with neg. nodes = MRI annually for eqach of 5 years.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back