Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=21104

Meter runs on mayor's Meigs shutdown

Legal bills top $500K as city fights the feds over late-night closure
Three years after Mayor Richard M. Daley ordered the bulldozing of Meigs Field, the legal bills continue to rise.

The city of Chicago has spent more than $200,000 on outside lawyers to appeal a $33,000 fine the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) imposed, and the meter is still running.

Another matter, an FAA investigation of whether the city illegally used $2.9 million in airport development funds to deactivate Meigs, has cost the city even more in legal fees.

THIS is why we pay a 12% sales tax, $150 parking tickets, and $75 vehicle fees in "The City That Works."

$150.00 parking tickets?????

Where do you have to park to get a ticket like THAT???

Man, the city's sure changed . . .

etsisk said:

They save the highest fine for tickets that are the easiest to get like street cleaning. What belongs in that category is parking by a fire hydrant.

In the meantime the city council is defying the mayor and asking if maybe cops should be enforcing traffic laws again. That would be fun to watch. Maybe one day I can stop at a stop sign and not fear getting rear ended.

This is one of the reasons I spend very little time in the Chicago City limits. Let Da Mayor rot in his corrupt system. Those that keep voting for him can keep paying for his mistakes.

AdamZ said:
Ha I hope Da Mayor chokes on those legal fees and I hope they go higher.

The problem with that is the tax payers are paying the fees, not the esteemed Mayor. The citizens of Chi must be cool with that, they elected this guy. (I am assuming he has been reelected, not going to bother to research it.) I am not cool with that. I believe some spending of Federal money (MY tax $$$) is being looked into. The Feds have /are fining the city, should be the Mayor personally.

etsisk said:

Ever been to NYC?, $150 parking ticket, $200 tow, $350 impound fee.....
toll on I 95 S. for leaving the city ........pricless

Due to Meigs and the corrupt politicians I avoid Chicago for ALL business and personal trips.

Anthony said:
Due to Meigs and the corrupt politicians I avoid Chicago for ALL business and personal trips.
I agree with you on that one! Last year, I had a chance to go to Chicago for work sponsored education. I flatly refused.
Someone in Chicago should find a way to get Daley to pay those legal bills himself. Afterall, it wasn't Chicago that bulldozed Meigs; it was hizoner himself.

etsisk said:

Still cheaper to park in a red zone than in a handicapped space. :) $45 bucks vs $291 I think...

etsisk said:

Went to the Chicago Symphony one cold February night a few years ago (always had hoped to fly into Meigs for the symphony at some point :(). I was going with a couple of friends in another car. I didn't have a decent winter coat at the time, and the car was parked close to Symphony Hall, so I left my coat in the car.

I came back out to find my car gone, along with all the others on the block. A temporary (cardboard!) no-parking-this-block-tow-away-zone sign had been strapped to a light pole and all of the cars (I had the last spot on the block when I parked a few hours earlier) had been towed. We looked across the street to where my friends had parked (they were also sans coats) and the tow truck was taking the car in front of theirs. We sprinted over there and took it before the tow truck could. We woulda frozen if we hadn't made it.

Ticket plus fees, something like $295 and two hours later I finally had my car back. :mad: I hate that friggin' city.

What's gonna happen if they get "da lympics":goofy: I bet it gets expensive then. To the poster that lives in Bristol my brother in law and his wife live in Goshen, both are m.d's
Joe
Auburn In

Chicago Tribune editorial Published July 5, 2006:

The high cost of hubris

More than three years after Mayor Richard Daley ordered a late-night hit on Meigs Field, the cost of his venture continues to rise.

Chicago has paid more than $500,000 in legal fees to battle the Federal Aviation Administration over the March 2003 closing of the airport at Northerly Island, according to figures provided by the city.

The city is challenging a $33,000 fine for shutting down Meigs without giving the FAA a required 30-day notice. And lawyers on the city's clock are preparing to fight the FAA on another front: The agency is investigating whether Chicago improperly used $2.9 million in airport development funds to close Meigs. The FAA could fine the city up to $8.7 million if it finds the development funds were misused.

Bottom line: The mayor's surprise decision to bulldoze the airport's runway while most people were asleep already has cost the city millions of dollars, and the tab could top $10 million.

...We don't know if the FAA or the city will prevail. We do know that the taxpayers' costs for the midnight raid on Meigs Field keep rising, thanks to a mayor's belief that he can do whatever he wants.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ul05,0,5973897.story?coll=chi-newsopinion-hed

How does the mayor get away with stuff like this. I won't spend a dime more than I have to in his town. My flight has to go through there on the 10th of this month, but I wish it didn't. I don't see how he keeps getting re-elected each time.

mikea said:
Chicago Tribune editorial Published July 5, 2006:
The high cost of hubris

More than three years after Mayor Richard Daley ordered a late-night hit on Meigs Field, the cost of his venture continues to rise.

Chicago has paid more than $500,000 in legal fees to battle the Federal Aviation Administration over the March 2003 closing of the airport at Northerly Island, according to figures provided by the city.

The city is challenging a $33,000 fine for shutting down Meigs without giving the FAA a required 30-day notice. And lawyers on the city's clock are preparing to fight the FAA on another front: The agency is investigating whether Chicago improperly used $2.9 million in airport development funds to close Meigs. The FAA could fine the city up to $8.7 million if it finds the development funds were misused.

Bottom line: The mayor's surprise decision to bulldoze the airport's runway while most people were asleep already has cost the city millions of dollars, and the tab could top $10 million.

...We don't know if the FAA or the city will prevail. We do know that the taxpayers' costs for the midnight raid on Meigs Field keep rising, thanks to a mayor's belief that he can do whatever he wants.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...ewsopinion-hed

The needs to be repeated. All you Chicagoans vote the bum out!! Ahh but there probably aren't any pilots who actually live in the city limits reading this board. But they do read the Trib. It is good that the media is not letting this drop. Glad there is still some media keeping a watchful eye on the elected ones. Without a free media this would be a really bad place to be.

Does a park reelect him? Does a park, plus the concession revenues from Live Nation/Clear Channel provide more revenue to the city than the airport plus the fine? Does a park - and whatever future uses the land has - provide more benefit to the city? Does the mayor get political mileage from stopping the dangerous little planes?

My bet is that the Mayor thinks so.

wsuffa said:
Does a park reelect him? Does a park, plus the concession revenues from Live Nation/Clear Channel provide more revenue to the city than the airport plus the fine? Does a park - and whatever future uses the land has - provide more benefit to the city? Does the mayor get political mileage from stopping the dangerous little planes?

My bet is that the Mayor thinks so.
The revenue's got nothing to do with it. They would NEVER let anybody see the books when they claimed Meigs was costing $millions to maintain. You can be sure that just like using airport improvement funds to pay the O'Hare concrete contractor to dig up Meigs, they could charge the vehicles for Midway to Meigs. They did lots of that to justify the landing fees and the fees for collecting the fees.

You know full well, Bill, that any of these contracts with big media corps to bring revenue, like the bus shelter deal, go like "Duh Man says get dese guys. Ask dem what are dey gonna pay?" If they offer $3 million, the competition might have offered $10 million. Somehow, how much REVENUE they get so the city can seek a percentage is never asked. And if the contract says the city has to spend $5 million first to build or supply services that gets lost in the fine print.

Meigs was closed because Mrs. Daley wanted it closed. End of story.

mikea said:
The revenue's got nothing to do with it. They would NEVER let anybody see the books when they claimed Meigs was costing $millions to maintain. You can be sure that just like using airport improvement funds to pay the O'Hare concrete contractor to dig up Meigs, they could charge the vehicles for Midway to Meigs. They did lots of that to justify the landing fees and the fees for collecting the fees.

You know full well, Bill, that any of these contracts with big media corps to bring revenue, like the bus shelter deal, go like "Duh Man says get dese guys. Ask dem what are dey gonna pay?" If they offer $3 million, the competition might have offered $10 million. Somehow, how much REVENUE they get so the city can seek a percentage is never asked. And if the contract says the city has to spend $5 million first to build or supply services that gets lost in the fine print.

Meigs was closed because Mrs. Daley wanted it closed. End of story.

The way most of the contracts work is that the concessionaire promises to pay the city a percentage of the revenue obtained, and then has to guarantee a fixed amount. Who supplies the hardware or services is subject to negotiation.

Take the Chicago bus shelter contract. DeCaux promised to pay a certain percentage of the revenue obtained (most likely on a sliding scale), and then guaranteed a fixed amount per year - so the percentage amount only comes into play after it exceeds the guarantee. DeCaux also has to pay all the capital costs of installing the shelters. Normally, the schedule for installation is tied to the guarantee (e.g. full guarantee is not owed until all the shelters are installed) - so the city insists on a schedule, and the contractor gets a reprieve if the city drags it's feet on granting the permits or approvals for each shelter. In the end, the guarantee to the city is usually a LOT higher than the capital cost. And a "prepayment" of a portion of the guarantee is often demanded by politicians (especially during an election year).

The city may insist on a minimum percentage to start with, so the stiffest negotiation revolves around the schedule, the amount of the guarantee, and the amount of the prepayment. After the contract is signed, the games begin as the contractor usually proposes locations for the shelters, and the city drags its feet.

The same process is used for operating a theater or other venue. The contract may require that the contractor pay for all the capital improvements (with reversion to the city at the end), plus a percentage and guarantee. The shorter the contract, the greater chance of the contractor refusing to pay for the improvements (or offsetting the guarantee by the amount of the improvements).

For the contractor, it's a bunch of number crunching to minimize expense while still bidding something that should win the contract.

IIRC, the venue at the former Meigs location is a tent-like structure with portable seating or bleachers. If so, that is relatively inexpensive and bleachers can be purchased or leased. Tent-like structures are really easy, fast to put up, and cheap.

BTW, this type of contract is used for other concession services, too. Airport rental cars, on-site hotels, food/newsstands on city/airport property, etc. all use a similar process.

For a good idea on how it works, see this contract RFB from the Washington DC Airport Authority: http://www.metwashairports.com/busi...ng_opportunities/op-pages/5-06-c001-documents

The revenue can pe pretty substantial.... and I'm betting that the airport FBO services at Meigs were handled the same way.

Back