Meigs Fly By.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Here's my proposition:

Get as many planes as we can to fly an "approach" into Meigs on the anniversary, every anniversary of the closure. Obey all the part 91 rules, but if anyone has the old tower frequency we should use that to make all the radio calls. We can call stage in Gary, and fly up the shoreline.

Who's in?

N2212R said:
but if anyone has the old tower frequency we should use that to make all the radio calls.
That part is a bad idea since that freq may well be reallocated to another agency, and using it is an FCC violation.

sounds kinda like having about 1000 guys fly into the adiz all at once, sure would be fun.

BTW, since Meigs has been converted to other uses, and is in a "congested area," minimum altitude is 1000 above the highest object within 2000 feet horizontally. Not much of an "approach," but a fly-by at a lower altitude at least 2000 feet off the shoreline is feasible.

Ron Levy said:
BTW, since Meigs has been converted to other uses, and is in a "congested area," minimum altitude is 1000 above the highest object within 2000 feet horizontally. Not much of an "approach," but a fly-by at a lower altitude at least 2000 feet off the shoreline is feasible.

Ron,

Is it really in a congested area? What's the official way to tell... Yellow on the sectional/TAC?

Chicago is congested, Meigs really isn't IMHO. There's a temporary concert venue at the north end, but the rest of the island is pretty much just a big lawn. Nothing there yet.

Ed, count me in. Maybe we could stage at one end and do lunch on the other end.

flyingcheesehead said:
Is it really in a congested area? What's the official way to tell... Yellow on the sectional/TAC?
There is no hard and fast definition. Folks have been held to have been flying over a "congested area" that was no more than a settlement of houses. I strongly recommend against trying to outdefine the FAA on its interpretations of its own rules, especially when you're talking about the downtown area of a major city.

"Thus, the Shepard Mesa subdivision -- comprised of a minimum of 20 houses, in an area approximately .5 mi. x .66 mi. -- would qualify as a congested area." (Administrator v. Pick and Redig)

you think Da Mare would possibly let that slide without trying to proove that it is congested area?

I'll bet not. Now the ADIZ idea we talked about at 6Y9....

I just love this idea. I wonder if AOPA would get behind it and promote it.

FlyNE said:
I just love this idea. I wonder if AOPA would get behind it and promote it.

Do you think it would do more harm than good to our cause? If 1,000 planes flew close to the city, even if remaining a legal distance, would the general public get scared and complain. Wouldn't it just remind them of the freedom we enjoy and they can't? Much of the hatred for GA is jealousy, with noise and terrorism as the smoke screen.

This is the internet, so I won't go into more detail (it was just a fun convo anyways, not a serious suggestion), but there was more to it than just a bunch of planes flying through the ADIZ.

Anthony said:
Wouldn't it just remind them of the freedom we enjoy and they can't? Much of the hatred for GA is jealousy, with noise and terrorism as the smoke screen.

Anthony is on to it here.

Ron Levy said:
There is no hard and fast definition. Folks have been held to have been flying over a "congested area" that was no more than a settlement of houses.

I can see that... But a strip of uninhabited land? I hardly think they could call that "congested."

Time to go sign up for the AOPA Legal Services plan. :D ;)

flyingcheesehead said:
I can see that... But a strip of uninhabited land? I hardly think they could call that "congested."

Time to go sign up for the AOPA Legal Services plan. :D ;)

Do your realize how many of the cities homeless live there? It is hardly uninhabited. Teh homeless love it as no one else goes there and it is nice and quiet. :D:D

lancefisher said:
Anthony said:
Do you think it would do more harm than good to our cause?
Maybe not if none fly into any buildings.:D

Oh, man! Maybe we need to put this thread into temporary deleted mode before this event just in case. That way there would be no evidence for bloggers to find, and we could still make the delete permanent and burn the tapes.

mikea said:
Oh, man! Maybe we need to put this thread into temporary deleted mode before this event just in case. That way there would be no evidence for bloggers to find, and we could still make the delete permanent and burn the tapes.

I admit to having slight clarevoyance at times. ;)

Back