MEI as an initial CFI

n20junkie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Farmer
So I just got done with my CFI, done initally in a multi-engine. I had gotten my multi-comm this summer, and decided that while I was profecient at flying a multi, why not do my CFI in one.​

It was interesting, cause no one, not the school, the FSDO or the DPE that owns the school had ever done it. But they all were interested in seeing what it would be like, and I was their lab rat. It wasn't really all that bad. Come checkride day ground stuff was pretty much the same as a SEL would have been, but with some MEL stuff tossed in. My ground portion was a total of 8 hours at the table. We had some weather issues so we had to break it off. Once the weather up here in the snowy north let up, it was go time. The weather was bad for almost 2 months, with just a day here and there that would pop up, so I flew a little but only 4 hours in 60 days, not much to stay really good with the skills. I had maybe 40 or so hours of multi time when the FAA guy hopped in the left seat with me. It went pretty well, with every small error in my performance magnified by an engine pull. We failed it a bunch of times, and did the maneuvers.​

When it was all over, my performance wasn't near what I usually fly. My landings were acceptable, but the worse of my life in the twin. No bouces, just not clean greasers. But when we taxied in, and shut it down he smiled, looked at me and said those magic words "congratulations" CFI.​

So it can be done. Its very uncommon up here in Western NY, but I like being different. Now I have to add on SEL to my CFI certificate.​

It's the standard procedure at university aviation programs with Diamond fleets -- initial CP/CFI in the TwinStar, SE add-on in the DA-20/40.

Standard for a lot of nation wide flight schools like "ATP", do the initial CFI as an MEI, CFI-I and then do the Single Engine with an "add-on" flight check.

So I just got done with my CFI, done initally in a multi-engine.​

I did my initial CFI in a helicopter for much the same reason. I'd just
finished the R/H add on to my commercial and was proficient so I
did the CFI to squeeze some more helicopter hours out of the VA
flight training. Then I did the ASEL add on to the CFI.

RT​

Hey, look at it this way -- only someoe pretty old would even know how it could have happened.
Not necessarily, Ron...My Grandpa told me just before he died that he had heard of it back when he was a kid, but they changed the rule before he was old enough to fly.:rofl:

Back