Meeting Harry

Skyhawk4754

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Willie
When I first met Harry he was kind of just hangin out at our local airport. Not a very big man in stature,5'5 somewhere in the 135-140 lbs. humbly dressed. He has this big bushy mustache and bushy eyebrows. He has these what I would call "Paul Newman" blue eyes that twinkle all the time. Doesn't say much unless spoken to. The one thing that I did notice was his eyes really twinkle when young people come around and show and interest in aviation. Harry would always mention his c-180 when talking about flying.
At our airport, the first Weds. of every month they have a hanger get together @ 6-7pm grill some bratts and burgers and talk about flying. Most of the time 6-8 airplanes fly in to share the evening. I will never forget the first one my son and I were invited to, when we first pulled in I could see this beautiful T-6 sitting outside on the apron. We made a B-line direct to it, as we were standing there all these young people started showing up standing by us. Come to find out this was Harry's T-6 and once a month he gives 2 young people a ride!!!!!!!!!!
I have enclosed a picture of Harry and my son right after his ride. I think the smile on the young man face in the back seat says it all.
I hope you all have a "Harry" somewhere close to keep the spirit of aviation alive in young peoples hearts.....and those that are still young at heart. IMG_0437.JPG

I think you're right... that smile says it all. :)

What a nice story and what a neat guy. Thanks for sharing that. :)

(I'm glad that you were able to post that photo.) :)

Back