Meet the Elytron - vertical takeoff Aircraft

I like it to. It brings up a lot of aerodynamics questions with me. The flying model had a canard, the full size one doesn't. Between the forward sweep of the rear/high wing and the aft sweep of the forward/low wing it seems it would have some weird stall characteristics. The ailerons seem to be on the rotating central wing outboard of the engines. That whole wing seems to be the elevator. Would it be forward or aft of CG to make this work?? If you are trying to land/takeoff vertically, I mean "straight" up/down, wouldn't the thrust line have to be exactly on CG. I'm guessing it could use some pretty damn short runways, but not be perfectly "vertical."

Edit: Ah ha. The thrust of the propellors will be over part of the ailerons. Vertical can work.

Last edited:
At $650/hr to operate the 4 seater, I'll wait and see how it works out.

Also interested in seeing how the power is transferred from the engine to the props. Gear box?

Definitely interesting though.

At $650/hr to operate the 4 seater, I'll wait and see how it works out.

Also interested in seeing how the power is transferred from the engine to the props. Gear box?

Definitely interesting though.

Yeah. Obviously one engine. Seems there would have to be a way to control thrust to each prop. Could end being a Lot of moving parts.

Nope. Not a lot of moving parts. The 'ailerons' are split. Each side can stay together and move as any aileron. Or they can split apart and act like a speed brake. Or they can split apart, one side more than the other. Or one side can move and the other stay put. Everything need to control roll in the vertical is there.

http://elytron.aero

Back