Meds while application is deferred

A

Anonymous

My application was recently deferred for a history of depression. I've got a climbing vacation planned in Colorado next week, and since I've had AMS twice, my doctor suggested I try Diamox. It sounds like it's not an FAA approved medication, but since I don't hold a medical right now...can I take it? I'm ok skipping it if I have to, but I don't want to assume either way.

it's an episodic use. TO BE DISCONTINUED.
Sure would be better than suffocating down the mountain to the ICU.

My application was recently deferred for a history of depression. I've got a climbing vacation planned in Colorado next week, and since I've had AMS twice, my doctor suggested I try Diamox. It sounds like it's not an FAA approved medication, but since I don't hold a medical right now...can I take it? I'm ok skipping it if I have to, but I don't want to assume either way.

Bruce gave you great advice from an AME standpoint, as usual, but I'm curious: what altitude do you begin having AMS symptoms? I presume when you begin flying you'll be in unpressurized aircraft, so what will your altitude limits be?

Bruce gave you great advice from an AME standpoint, as usual, but I'm curious: what altitude do you begin having AMS symptoms? I presume when you begin flying you'll be in unpressurized aircraft, so what will your altitude limits be?

Never had issues beyond poor night vision without O2, so I stay as low as MEA allows. Haven't had problems with AMS below about 11, and even then it's mild (but even a bad headache will ruin your trip, you know?)

Honest question: Ever thought about just climbing with O2?

I know weight and complexity and all, but in a way simpler... maybe.

Just curious. Not recommending. Asking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back