Medication interactions

F

Fatty

I have my cholesterol well controlled with Crestor (and eating a bunch of cow-food; an irrational amount of exercising too).

In addition to this statin;
I am also taking some fatty acid supplements: the usual 1200mg "Fish Oil" daily and I also take Alpha Lipoic acid as the neurologist says it is a good nerve protectant.

Let's ignore WHAT or WHY I am taking these please look only at my question (feel free to start a new thread on that) -

Could the rosuvastatin block the absorption or utilization of the Fish Oil or Alpha Lipoic acid?
(I think the statin does aid my cholesterol by doing something at the gut wall, no?)

All statins, including rosuvastatin, are potent and specific nhibitors of the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase, which catalyzes one of the key steps in the biosynthesis of mevalonic acid, a precursor of cholesterol. The primary effect is to reduce cholesterol levels by interrupting its synthesis and end products it is associated with, such as LDLs.

Statins have no direct or potent effects on nutrient absorption or other lipid metabolizing enzymes other than those in the cholesterol family of lipids for which mevalonic acid is a precursor, e.g. certain steroid hormones. The primary side effect is potential skeletal muscle deterioration, experienced by a small but significant fraction of users.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back