Medical

U

Unregistered

Dr. Bruce, my doc wants to put me on Hytrin and proscar to promote easier urination. I see the FAA will approve these on a case by case basis? Suggestions?? Thanks.

Every before Doc Bruce did you ask your doc what other choices there are, and his recommendations as to the efficacy of the other choices?

You need to own your own medical - which means you cannot let docs make all the decisions - you can make the decisions when there are choices. Discuss those choices -

I'm not a doc - never stayed in a holiday inn express - but you need to 'own' your medical - which first get the medicine right - taking into account good choices, bad choices and sometimes, just choices. . . .

Seen above the Men's room at the FBO in Dalhart, TX.

"Male pilots with short pitot tubes or low manifold pressure are asked to step closer to the hold short line, and maintain positive control. The next pilot might not be float rated."

Sign seen in a golf course bathroom above the urinal:

This is the only place you will stand today without people giving you advice on your stance or your grip. :D

BOTH meds are okay. All you need is a statement from the doc saying, "no side effects noted" and you're good.

BOTH meds are okay. All you need is a statement from the doc saying, "no side effects noted" and you're good.
And what self respecting physician would prescribe these meds if the patient had side effects?

This is an FAA CYA (as in FAA's the deep pocket here...)...sigh. Don't make me defend the agency. It will be tepid.

Like our failure to get the Sleep Apnea CACI. I mean, we can read to documents and determine the guy is fighting his machine for one miserable month a year to qualify and that he doesn't get effective sleep.....or that he does...or that he needs a new mask....or...oh h_ll.

And what self respecting physician would prescribe these meds if the patient had side effects?

Depends what the side effects are. Dizziness is the #1 on Hytrin and high up on the Proscar list and while infrequent side effects of this may be a problem for pilots it may be acceptable in the general population.

Last edited:
Depends what the side effects are. Dizziness is the #1 on Hytrin and high up on the Proscar list and while infrequent side effects of this may be a problem for pilots it may be acceptable in the general population.
The patient gets to decide if the side effects are intolerable. That depends on the patient and the situation. Often they will just quit taking the medication and may or may not inform the provider. The provider should be informed in advance of any special circumstances (like piloting an aircraft). If the patient is unhappy with the treatment I offer alternatives or explain if there is no reasonable alternative.

I'm hoping the push for the Sleep Apnea CACI continues.

And I agree with what you said there, Bruce.

I have a SI for sleep apnea. Last medical, I game the AME a recent report from the pulmonary doc, he issued the medical on the spot. Then 2 -3 months later I got a second directly from the FAA.

I have a SI for sleep apnea. Last medical, I game the AME a recent report from the pulmonary doc, he issued the medical on the spot. Then 2 -3 months later I got a second directly from the FAA.

Re-issuance for OSA is a simple thing for the AME's. I think what Bruce (and his fellow top of the mark AMEs) wants is the mechanism to issue in the office when the airman and his documentation says he meets the standard.

CACI is a good initiative. The more conditions that can be made issuable by the offices in the field means reduced workload in OKC on these mundane items. Leaving these reviewers and docs to handle the more difficult cases and turn them around just a bit faster.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back