Medical with past use of SSRI

U

Unregistered

I used an SSRI for a few years to treat major depression. I stopped in April of 2014 and I provided the FAA with pharmacy records, a clarification statement of no self-destructive behaviors, and a psych eval detailing that I was stable without symptoms and a psych test with no Axis 1 behaviors with the help of an AME. I received a letter that states there is not satisfactory evident on complete and sustained remission and I should submit the following to request reconsideration:

"A current status report with treatment plan and prognosis from a psychologist or psychiatrist documenting ongoing cognitive behavioral therapy for your history of depressed mood currently in remission without medication.

Counseling and recurring reassessments of your mood and sustained remission should be accomplished at least every 90 days or more frequently at discretion of your mental health professional."

The AME that was helping me said that because my psych eval stated there was a 50/50 chance of my depression returning within the next five years, there is "zero" chance of me getting a medical. Is it impossible? I would like to understand what they are looking for and what course of action to take.

The letter also states that I do not meet medical standards as prescribed in Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Section 67, 67.107 (c), 113 (c), 67.207 (c), 213 (c), 67.307 (c), and 313 (c).

The statement in your last post is just standard boilerplate in their denial.

Not to sound like a broken record on the advice, but you should consult with someone familiar with FAA psych issues (which may not be your AME). Dr. Chien over on the redboards (and his site aeromedicaldoc.com) is. He is one of the authors of the SSRI SI protocol.

Dr. Chien over on the redboards (and his site aeromedicaldoc.com) is. He is one of the authors of the SSRI SI protocol.
In case you're unfamiliar, "the redboards" means the AOPA Forums. And yes, Bruce (an AME who specializes in difficult aeromedical certifications) is probably your best source for a "read" on your likelihood of getting an issuance.

I used an SSRI for a few years to treat major depression. I stopped in April of 2014 and I provided the FAA with pharmacy records, a clarification statement of no self-destructive behaviors, and a psych eval detailing that I was stable without symptoms and a psych test with no Axis 1 behaviors with the help of an AME. I received a letter that states there is not satisfactory evident on complete and sustained remission and I should submit the following to request reconsideration:

"A current status report with treatment plan and prognosis from a psychologist or psychiatrist documenting ongoing cognitive behavioral therapy for your history of depressed mood currently in remission without medication.

Counseling and recurring reassessments of your mood and sustained remission should be accomplished at least every 90 days or more frequently at discretion of your mental health professional."

The AME that was helping me said that because my psych eval stated there was a 50/50 chance of my depression returning within the next five years, there is "zero" chance of me getting a medical. Is it impossible? I would like to understand what they are looking for and what course of action to take.

You need to call Dr. Bruce Chien. He will likely refer you to a HIMS qualified psychiatrist, who will perform a full battery of testing on you. Unfortunately that isn't cheap, and it is not covered by insurance.

Unfortunately, you now have a medical denial on paper, which means that resolving the issue is your only path forward if you want to fly. Even LSA.

Expect a liberal application of money and no guarantees.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back