Medical with ADHD

Z

Zac Runyon

Hey all. I’ve had ADHD my whole life was diagnosed at a young age in school however stopped medication over 6+ years ago. I disclosed on my physical I have this disability and I’ve been on a over a year battle with the medical department in Oklahoma. I have had drug tests neurophysiological testing. The whole nine yards and they still come back asking for more information. I call every week and they only state it’s under review. I’ve been waiting over a year to just get a 3rd class for my PPL. Any advice or tips or stories of similar situations would be a great help. I am on the step where the air surgeon is reviewing it. Thank you. It’s been over 3 months seen I’ve heard anything from them last.

Nothing encouraging to add here other than welcome to the club! Waiting is about all we can do at this point. Putting your patience cap on is the best way to handle anything related to the medical process in OKC. I initially applied on July 6 2020. Hoping my SI comes before then but betting it likely won't.

My application for a substance dependence SI (long thread exists here) has been in review for a similar amount of time. My application packet has been on the MD's desk since early May (or so I was told, after making it through the primary drug and alcohol section review). I don't view it as a battle but just a waiting game. I've gone through the neuropsych. I've been doing the drug/alcohol testing, too. Yeah, it's disheartening to see so many other students at my flight school progress from "introductory flight" to solo to PPL since I've been waiting for my medical to go through but it's okay; I know my SI will come. Eventually. It's humbling, more than anything.

I've been told that third class certificates are the lowest priority. My understanding is that anytime a 1st or 2nd class application comes in, 3rd class applications get reshuffled to the bottom of the pile. Unfortunate, but we really can't influence how the FAA handles our applications other than dancing whenever they say dance.

Nothing encouraging to add here other than welcome to the club! Waiting is about all we can do at this point. Putting your patience cap on is the best way to handle anything related to the medical process in OKC. I initially applied on July 6 2020. Hoping my SI comes before then but betting it likely won't.

My application for a substance dependence SI (long thread exists here) has been in review for a similar amount of time. My application packet has been on the MD's desk since early May (or so I was told, after making it through the primary drug and alcohol section review). I don't view it as a battle but just a waiting game. I've gone through the neuropsych. I've been doing the drug/alcohol testing, too. Yeah, it's disheartening to see so many other students at my flight school progress from "introductory flight" to solo to PPL since I've been waiting for my medical to go through but it's okay; I know my SI will come. Eventually. It's humbling, more than anything.

I've been told that third class certificates are the lowest priority. My understanding is that anytime a 1st or 2nd class application comes in, 3rd class applications get reshuffled to the bottom of the pile. Unfortunate, but we really can't influence how the FAA handles our applications other than dancing whenever they say dance.

Can I just ask; how do you know you will be granted a SI? I’m about to start the process with my deferred class I application and I’m scared to death that I won’t receive a SI. How likely is it?

Can I just ask; how do you know you will be granted a SI? I’m about to start the process with my deferred class I application and I’m scared to death that I won’t receive a SI. How likely is it?

How likely is it that they issue? I have no idea. I’m sure there’s some probability distribution, but I don’t know what that looks like.

I received my SI Yesterday. How did I know I was going to get a 3rd class SI? I wasn’t 100% certain, to be honest. However, because I had a lot of supportive input from members here as well as my first AME, my HIMS Neuropsychologist, and my HIMS AME, I pursued as relentlessly as I could. Not to mention I was confident that it’d come, based on others’ experience. There were months where it was disheartening to jump through SO MANY HOOPS but I tried to keep the faith that it’d work out the way it needed to work out.

Good luck and be patient yet persistent!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back