Medical success!

G

Guest1260

Good evening all,

I just wanted to publicly thank Dr. Bruce for helping me get my medical. I was another one of those kids that took ADD meds as a kid. After the preemptive neuro test and a medical with Dr. Bruce at KPIA, it took three months for the medical to be completed. No special issuance, just a straight up third class!

Just wanted to post this to give hope to all others who have to work through the same issue.

Dr. Bruce is a real asset for us GA pilots. I haven't had to use his services, but have seen him help a lot of people on this and other forums.

If you don't mind, could you give a run down so others can see the whole process when they search this forum. I am familiar with the process, but I feel someone that already went through it could give insight.

How was the Pscyh eval?

Also congrats! and Dr. Bruce is phenomenal.

Midcap- great question. We have actually discussed this question in great length via PM from my main account. The process is as follows (when working through Dr. Bruce)

1. Contact Dr. Bruce. He will want all medical records that deal with the diagnosis. I would get a hold of those as soon as you could-that way you can send those to him as soon as he asks. This has been said numerous times, but send him EVERYTHING! As they say "He is a good man- and thorough". Also, pay him as soon as you can.

2. Dr. Bruce will likely ask that you get neuropsychological tests done. The FAA has put out standards for this. He will ask about where you are located, because he wants you to go through a HIMS, Board-Certified neuropsychologist. The Success rate is higher when using these Doctors. Be prepared to drop 2500$ or more.

3. This part is subjective, but here is my write-up. My appt was a good 3-4 hours away from where I live. I stayed with a friend the night before, so I could get good rest and make it on time to the appointment at 7 AM. Treat the day like an intensive job interview. You are interviewing for your medical certificate. Anyway, met with a worker at the psych office, wrote out the check and was given a brief interview. Following that, testing began. There are a lot of tests- use the FAA excerpt that Dr. Bruce provides you for some of the test names.. some of them are on youtube. The tests measure your attentiveness and focus. All I can say is, try your damndest. Cant emphasize that enough. There is also an interview with the psychologist. Again- this is a job interview. Be honest, be professional, and be present.

4. Make sure you do not leave the office without getting a urinalysis done. My office was confused about what a "Seven panel urine test" was. Luckily, between the office worker, Dr. Bruce and the lab tech- we got it figured out, labeled, and tested.

5. When testing is complete (and it is all day-0700 to 1700 for me, with an hour lunch break), you are free to go.

6. When the psychologist completed his report, it was sent to me and to Dr. Bruce. If Dr. Bruce says it is good-it's good.

7. Schedule your physical. It can be with anyone, but tickets to Peoria are cheap-Dr. Bruce just needs an hour and a half.

My tip: take a week day off, and devote it to flying to Peoria, getting your physical, and flying home.

8. Once the physical is complete, the waiting games begin. Dr. Bruce will give you a number to call and what to say, but the bottom line is: stay on top of it. Call every two work days, then every week until you have your medical. Dr. Bruce will call on your behalf as well.

9. Receive your completed medical. It will arrive in the mail one day. Mine took three months.

10. Enjoy your new medical, and a feeling of relief!

Final tip: As soon as you identify that your past diagnosis might be an issue, get it taken care of. The sooner the better.

Hope this helps!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back