Medical Special Issuance

wildwobby

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildwobby
Hi,

I just got my 3rd class medical, and since I am color blind, I have the limitation: "Not valid for nightflying or by color signal control" on it.

I've heard of being able to take a light gun test at the airport to override this limitation.

Can anyone give me more information on who to contact to take this test?

Thanks!

You can call your local FSDO and request to perform for a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA). They'll meet you at your local towered airport or another and have the tower direct light gun signals to you. If you are able to correctly identify each color, they'll arrange to issue a SODA for you. After that, you can apply further to the Aeromedical Branch to have the night flight restriction removed.

If you want to get an idea of how you might do, contact the tower chief or usually any tower controller by phone. Ask them to shoot light gun signals to you for demonstration. Most controllers are pretty open to doing this if not too busy.

To emphasize Ken's last point, do NOT schedule this appointment or even call the FSDO until you've gone out to a towered airport with your instructor and done a pre-test to make sure you'll pass the real test. A bit of training often helps clarify what each color looks like to you, and ensures you'll pass the test, while a failure with the FAA Inspector makes it very hard to get the matter resolved later.

Wildwobby- make SURE you can pass a table top color test based on the sectional chart, as well as the Light Gun Signal Test. You only get to take the second test TWICE in your life.

Ok, I'm confident I could pass it. I see the diference between blue and magenta on the sectional just fine. I have never seen the light guns before, but am sure I could pass it. I have never had issues differentiating colors in the real world. Just those isahara plates. I will ask for a demo anyways.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you do not pass the first time? What happens the second time?

Ok, I'm confident I could pass it. I see the diference between blue and magenta on the sectional just fine. I have never seen the light guns before, but am sure I could pass it. I have never had issues differentiating colors in the real world. Just those isahara plates. I will ask for a demo anyways.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you do not pass the first time? What happens the second time?
You take it again at night. The limitation is different if you pass in daylight, than if you pass only at night.

But after the second one, you're done. Usually what you do is go to a class D airport, explain youself via handheld radio to the tower; go with the CFI to make SURE you can properly identify, before engaging the FSDO.

Failure to pass one or both signals tests and the sectional review is PERMANENT limitation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back