Medical Restriction question

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I just want to be clear on my new medical restriction. I could not pass the vision test for near vision. I expected this as I had noticed at night I could no longer read the approach plates in the dimly lite cockpit. I had put a pair of reading glasses in the cockpit that are kept there all the time.

My medical certificate now says "Must have available glasses for near vision" limitation. So just having the glasses accessible is good enough? I do not need them in the day, I can see everything just fine. I do not want to land somewhere and have the FAA police stop me and ask why my glasses are not on.

It means exactly what it says -- you must have them available in case you need them. They need not be on your face.

That said, from a safety perspective, choose wisely -- you wouldn't want to read an MDA of 820 as being 320.

It means exactly what it says -- you must have them available in case you need them. They need not be on your face.

That said, from a safety perspective, choose wisely -- you wouldn't want to read an MDA of 820 as being 320.

Yep. I normally carry a pair in a shirt pocket but I also have a spare pair in a cubbyhole and another in my flight bag. That way I always have at least one pair available in case I lose or forget the ones in my pocket.

Yep. I normally carry a pair in a shirt pocket but I also have a spare pair in a cubbyhole and another in my flight bag. That way I always have at least one pair available in case I lose or forget the ones in my pocket.
I am a firm believer in redundancy. I keep a dedicated pair in my flight bag and in the cockpit already. I also keep and extra headset and sunglasses in the cockpit at all times. I always believe by buy one when you can get a spare at twice the price ;)

Scott, welcome to "that" age. Go to Wally World and buy half a dozen 1.25's or whatever you need. Saturate your workplace and personal space with them. "Yup Mr. inspector, I've got mine right here".

The airline guys have three or four stashed here and there.....

Scott, welcome to "that" age. Go to Wally World and buy half a dozen 1.25's or whatever you need. Saturate your workplace and personal space with them. "Yup Mr. inspector, I've got mine right here".

I was already using them a bit. So I had done exactly that.

I have used these
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20-20-stick-on-bifocals.html for a couple of years, predominately because at the railroads yuo ALWAYS have to wear safety glasses and I ruin about a half dozen pair a year. These just squeegee on after wetting them, and peel off after the safety lenses get scratched up. I use them on my tinted safety glasses as well.

Last edited:
I keep a pair of 1.25's most everywhere. I can count gnat hairs across the interstate but reading sometimes causes problems. ;) While I passed my vision test at renewal this year, he allowed some "modifications" to make it so. ;)

LOL, I thought I was the only one who did that. I have 1.75 bifocals stashed EVERYWHERE.

One of my goddaughters helped me clean the car a couple of weeks ago and found three pairs in the car alone: One in the glove compartment, one in the center console, and one under the front seat. (I didn't tell her about the pair in my backpack for work.) I also have a pair on my desk, one by my bed, one in the throne room, and several scattered around relatives' homes. I even have bifocal sunglasses ("sun readers," or something to that effect).

-Rich

I've been wearing lineless bifocals for years. Spare pair in my flight bag. I even had that as a requirement on one medical a few years ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back