Medical reform is passed out of House

It's a fine day!

I will never again go in for an FAA medical exam. I'll just print the checklist and take it to a doctor every four years to examine tattoos and anus.

And the tattoo exam will go fast because I have none.

Too bad the anus exam is part of the deal, but it's still way better than the possibility of having a medical denied.

GLORIOUS REFORM HAS ARRIVED.*

*now please take this similar form to your primary care physician who knows nothing about aviation and ask them to sign off that you are good to fly a dangerous plane! Oh wait, its the same thing with new unknowns.

ok I'll admit it, I'm a little confused..........what does this mean: "House passed the extension to keep the FAA operating through the end of the next fiscal year"? what happens either at the end of next year, or if they didn't pass the extension? is the FAA on it's last leg? I don't get it.

Just as i make the decision to get my commercial ticket and 2nd class.

"After the president signs the bill into law, the FAA will have up to one year to develop and issue regulations before the third class medical provisions become effective. But the 10-year reachback that will allow many pilots to fly without needing another FAA medical exam will take effect when the bill is signed by the president."

So what does this mean? If I have a medical already, can I fly on it forever as soon as Obama signs it or do I need to wait up to a year for the FAA to make rules?

"After the president signs the bill into law, the FAA will have up to one year to develop and issue regulations before the third class medical provisions become effective. But the 10-year reachback that will allow many pilots to fly without needing another FAA medical exam will take effect when the bill is signed by the president."

So what does this mean? If I have a medical already, can I fly on it forever as soon as Obama signs it or do I need to wait up to a year for the FAA to make rules?
The way I understand it, if you are already a PP, you'll be able to fly again without a Medical, if your last expired in the ten-year time frame.

If you are Sport, you'll be able to upgrade without a medical after the new rules are issued, or after ONE year from passage, if the FAA drops the ball.

If you are new, you can begin training after passage, without need of the Medical, but your ticket won't be issued until the FAA sets the rules..

Please, someone correct me if I have this wrong.

Is there
The way I understand it, if you are already a PP, you'll be able to fly again without a Medical, if your last expired in the ten-year time frame.

If you are Sport, you'll be able to upgrade without a medical after the new rules are issued, or after ONE year from passage, if the FAA drops the ball.

If you are new, you can begin training after passage, without need of the Medical, but your ticket won't be issued until the FAA sets the rules..

Well that sounds very appealing.

What if you have an SI? I have two more years of showing proof of no more kidney stones, and the next one is due end of September. Anyone have any idea?

What if you have an SI? I have two more years of showing proof of no more kidney stones, and the next one is due end of September. Anyone have any idea?

Lots of good questions, with no answers yet.

Maybe, after AOPA is done congratulating itself, it will get around to telling us dues-paying members what it means to real people with real situations.

Maybe, after AOPA is done congratulating itself, it will get around to telling us dues-paying members what it means to real people with real situations.
precisely why I am no longer an AOPA member...

Who really knows what it really means? When it becomes law, it might be clearer.

Cheers

My Medical exam is scheduled for the end of August. It doesn't look like I can cancel it.

You do, unfortunately. Sport pilots and new pilots will still have to get a one-time 3rd class first before joining the legions of medical-less PPLs. The exception would be someone who went light sport after letting their 3rd class expire, sometime in the last 10 years.

Coincidentally, when I got off the medical merry-go-round, it was with annual SI's for kidney stones. I'm still well within the 10-year window.

Having had an SI does not affect current Sport Pilot privileges, which I currently operate under, since I was never denied a medical. Hoping similar language will permit me to fly larger GA aircraft with just my DL, and not be limited by the other Sport Pilot limitations regarding night, 10,000', visual reference to the surface and visibility requirements. All logical since my skill set as an instrument rated Commercial Pilot did not vanish the day my medical expired. But pretty sure I'll keep me E-LSA Sky Arrow - I've gotten pretty addicted to doing my own maintenance and inspections.

But a partnership in a Tiger or Mooney or the like might be pretty appealing!

Kidney stones are not among the specifically listed conditions requiring an SI under PBOR2. So you could let your SI lapse next year and keep flying - assuming you can find a physician to sign off your every four year physical knowing you have kidney stones.

One thing that isn't clear in the rules is when your first non-3rd class physical is due, but I'd assume it's before the first time you fly without a 3rd class. Probably one of those details to be spelled out by the FAA sometime in the next year.

Anyone have a line in what this means for those with Sleep Apnea and Kidney Stones?

Am I about to be able to fly again finally ?

Anyone have a line in what this means for those with Sleep Apnea and Kidney Stones?

Am I about to be able to fly again finally ?
OSA isn't one of those special conditions either. It looks like the answer is yes -- if you can get a doctor to sign you off. :)

Anyone have info on the timeline for the Senate to do their thing on PBOR the Second?

Whats all this anus talk?

I got my third class at a local AME, and he never asked to look at my butthole. He didn't even check my testicles. Never even took my pants off. The whole thing was actually pretty painless. Maybe I got lucky and got a good AME.

Can't say the same for my physical at MEPS when I was going to join the military. They checked both of those. (And a lot more.)

My 3rd class is already expired, and I looked up my original AME, and he moved across the country. I was planning on going to another AME to renew, but I might just wait and see how this 3rd class reform works out.

The have 1 year to implement the changes from the time the president signs it. I wonder how long they'll really take...

Anyone have info on the timeline for the Senate to do their thing on PBOR the Second?

The current FAA authorization expires on Friday, so I would expect that the Senate will vote on it in time for the President to sign by Friday. There is not currently a vote scheduled on it for tomorrow, so probably Wednesday or Thursday?

Whats all this anus talk?

I got my third class at a local AME, and he never asked to look at my butthole. He didn't even check my testicles. Never even took my pants off. The whole thing was actually pretty painless. Maybe I got lucky and got a good AME.

Can't say the same for my physical at MEPS when I was going to join the military. They checked both of those. (And a lot more.)

My 3rd class is already expired, and I looked up my original AME, and he moved across the country. I was planning on going to another AME to renew, but I might just wait and see how this 3rd class reform works out.

The have 1 year to implement the changes from the time the president signs it. I wonder how long they'll really take...
It's the best part. Ask the doctor, if it's a woman, to press little harder next time.

Totally worth it.

OSA isn't one of those special conditions either. It looks like the answer is yes -- if you can get a doctor to sign you off. :)
Oh, I can get a doctor to sign me off, no worries there.

I'm not yet jumping for joy. But I'm getting close.

I'm worried this whole medical reform might end up being a "careful what you wish for" kind of thing.

I mean my 3rd class cost me $75, was with a dr. that loves aviation, and is a pilot herself.

If I have to go to a regular dr. my deductible is $2000, so I'm going to end up paying way more for the visit, plus I have no idea if my dr. would even sign me off.

I'm worried this whole medical reform might end up being a "careful what you wish for" kind of thing.

I mean my 3rd class cost me $75, was with a dr. that loves aviation, and is a pilot herself.

If I have to go to a regular dr. my deductible is $2000, so I'm going to end up paying way more for the visit, plus I have no idea if my dr. would even sign me off.
No one says that you can't get a 3rd class medical...

Why not continue seeing the same doctor? An AME is still a doctor and can still sign you off.

Ya know, that thought didn't even occur to me.... I guess if they aren't doing away with the 3rd class then it would be fine to renew through her.

Who really knows what it really means? When it becomes law, it might be clearer.

Cheers

There is a ton of really good info in the actual text of the bill, it just takes a long time to read. But it's the real info, straight from the horse's mouth.

You can read it here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/2658/text (Skip to Title II, Part V, Subtitle F, Section 2602. Medical certification for certain small aircraft pilots.)

What's interesting is that it says the FAA has 180 days to enact the changes, not the 365 quoted on AOPA and other sites.

I'm going to have to dig out my logbook at the house and look at when my medical expired... Its going to be close. Otherwise I will just undergo the SI process once for treated sleep apnea (it will be a sure thing, just dont want to hassle with it).

Cheers

We have to pass the law to see what's in the law......

Kidding aside, maybe I'll continue to hold my share of the Mooney for a while longer.

Yes as has been said before this is basically a 4th class medical. The plus side is denial of signature doesn't put you out of the game forever. Just shop a doc who will sign it. Those of us with SIs it makes it a little better in that you don't need to do the paper work annually. It stretches out the time between exams a few more years for the guys over 40. The reality is it is typical bureaucratic control crap it doesn't make anyone safer in the long run. A lot can happen in a month let alone a year or 4 and in the end the pilot needs to know how to self evaluate. Would have been nice to just go with drivers license medical but I guess that was hoping for too much.

My guess is I will just have the exam done at my annual physical anyway it's all the same stuff. Can't get my BP medication without seeing him once a year anyway. May even have him fill out the form every year and just have a rolling 4 year window. I am in a small town the doctor is a personal friend but he he wont be in practice forever either.

Does everyone else read it this way? Assuming it's passed and signed as is, if your medical expires in next 6 months, your choices are 1) go ahead and get one last 3rd class medical (and then you're good for 4 years), 2) ground yourself until the online course and checklist are done, or 3) go light sport until the online course and check list are done. Agree?

Interesting that the under-40 crowd goes from every 5 years to every 4 years like everybody else.

I have high deductible insurance as well. Visits to doc in the box/urgent care type places only cost $100 +/- which seems to be about the going rate for an AME.

As far as knowing whether or not they would be ok with writing the letter or whatever, there's always the option of calling ahead and asking if they would be willing to do the exam. Really no different than asking if they do sports physicals for your kid.

Back