Medical records

U

Unregistered

I was wondering, out of curiousity, if the FAA has the right, by law, to access a persons medical record merely upon demand - within their realm of interest, of course - dispite a Doctors objection based upon patient privacy?

Unregistered said:
I was wondering, out of curiousity, if the FAA has the right, by law, to access a persons medical record merely upon demand - within their realm of interest, of course - dispite a Doctors objection based upon patient privacy?
I'm sure Bruce will chime in here with an authoritative answer, but it seems to me you or your doctor can say no to the FAA, but then the FAA has the option of giving you the same answer. Remember, it's a medical application.

Unregistered said:

Read the flight medical application form. The application contains a release which you sign allowing the FAA to request and obtain all medical records from any and all medical professionals. Once you complete the application form you have no patient privacy rights with respect to the FAA obtaining your medical records.

I notice the form you sign at the medical office says you have the right to rescind at any time the release of medical records they may hold (Im sure this does not supercede the FAAs powers however) and they have to reveal, upon request, any past requests for your medical records including who, when, what was revealed.
I have always assumed the FAA could access anything the MIB has, and most all Drs will forward anything they have to the MIB. Thanks a lot, 'computer age'.

Unregistered said:

You have the option to block the information, but don't be too surprised if the FAA blocks your application for a medical.

I had read something recently about the growing practice of medical practitioners turning to web based medical records systems which can reduce the costs of maintaining such records and allow MD's an instant access to a patients record allowing for a much better overview and more appropriate evaluation and treatment when the whole picture is seen. Definite advantages, I'm sure. I then connected this to the FAA and wondered if such systems with ability for instant access would make it much more easier for them to investigate the records and do so much more rapidly. Obviously, yes. Guess that old med form we fill out had better be correct with a capital C. "They" have x-ray eyes.

The 8500-8 gives them the power to request this information. Read carefully. When you are caught in an enforecment action one of the first things they can get are the diagnosis codes, correct or not, from such data. If there is anything that looks relevant, out it comes....

That is why I say, (within reason) get it reported. Get it reported while it's still benign.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back