Medical records

A

Anonymous

A long time ago in the past, like 30+ years ago I had a mental break down while in the military. I spent a week in the mental health ward, while i was in the military. I have requested my military records, including those when I was hospitalized. Unfortunately, my records are paper only. The National Archives didn't start digitizing records until after 2000. Ever since Covid, the Archives has been working with a skeleton crew. They are only fulfilling emergency requests for burial and homeless veterans. Getting an FAA medical certificate is considered a non-emergency.

Also, the last time I saw a psychologist was back in 2009. I called the company that the psychologist was associated with at the time requesting my records, but they don't keep them after 10 years.

My questions are:

1. Do I wait until the Federal Government gets back to me with my Military health records
  2. Do I continue with the FAA Med Express form, even if I don't have my past records.
  3. Do I even list any mental health problems on the Med Express form, if it has been longer than 10 years.
  4. Is there even away to request past medical records if you don't remember the doctor, the hospital, or the health insurance company.
I am trying to make sure I have everything for a consult with an AME, before seeing one. I am trying to avoid the deferred or denied alternatives.

I’m not an AME, the following is my opinion:

1. Yes
2. NO
3. Yes you have to tell them but if it were me I wouldn’t even start the form until I’ve had a consult with a very good AME. This is going to be an issue and whatever is in your actual record will be key.
4. That I don’t know, especially since it was the military. If they are lost forever you may have to undergo testing.

What you will want to do is, as you say, a consult only, with an AME, as your first visit.

There are two very good AMEs on this board, hopefully one will come along soon. Since this was so long ago, and even your 2009 record is lost, you might technically get away with not telling the FAA but if an accident or violation happens I’m going to guess your military record will be found and you (or your estate) will be in deep doo doo. So I don’t advise trying to hide this from the FAA but I do strongly advise not letting the application go live until you’ve had a detailed consult with an AME and know pretty much which way it will go. Unfortunately it might involve extensive and expensive testing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back