Medical Question

U

Unregistered

Hey all,

I currently have a 3rd class medical (am not flying presently). In the 5 years since it was issued, i have had the following issues:

1. Situational depression which was treated with pristiq when I was going through my divorce.
2. Quit smoking with Chantix
3. Had acute bronchitis, and fell at home which bought me an ambulance ride and a diagnosis of vasovagal syncope.

I have had 2 EKGs since the ER trip, and both were perfectly normal. Have been off the pristiq since 2012 when I finally booted the ex wife out, and just had a recent physical. No health issues detected, except for my cholesterol being 2 points too high. My PCP is a retired USAF flight surgeon, and when I had my last physical, he reviewed my medical records, and he feels that sending the FAA a letter with his findings and results will be sufficient for them to issue my next 3rd class. Thoughts? Will I have to go through a battery of psych tests and cardiac testing when my heart is totally healthy?

First, go back to all of these health care providers and get full records of each visit, prescription and such.

Second, have the doc who Dx'd you with situational depression and prescribed the Pristiq to do a status letter saying that the depression was situational, not chronic, has resolved itself, and you were only given Prestiq for a very short duration.

Third, similar status letter for the Chantix

Fourth; treatment details/notes from the ER including any/all discharge notes.

Fifth; Before going for the live exam, do a consultative visit with your AME to verify all of what you are bringing gets you issued in the office and not deferred. This is the time to find out that more information is required, or the status letter needs tweeked.

The objective is to get everything shaped into the correct form so it fits the FAA slots an d boxes, allowing the lower ranks to confirm you meet the standards. Submitting something in the wrong form causes the submission to be kicked to the next level, delaying the response, and could cause them to raise more questions and causing unneeded or undeserved havoc.

And if any questions, call AOPA and speak to Gary Crump's team of medical advisors.

While we often refer folks to Dr. Bruce Chien for various things, Gary Crump at AOPA is also well versed with navigating FAA Medical airspace and has a team assembled to help with the simpler things. Allowing Bruce to focus on the big/bad stuff.

OP here,

Is there a basic form letter I can fill out and send to the Dx doc to sign and have him return to me? He's in another state.

I don't think there is. But contact AOPA to find out exactly what is needed on that letter, then create a draft for the doctor to either photocopy on to his letterhead, or transcribe.

Either way, the information needs to be on the doc's letterhead and above his signature.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back