Medical question IRT previous condition (and class upgrade)

U

Unregistered

I got my 3rd class medical after a review by OKC for a diagnosis and treatment of depression several years prior.

My question is, since it's already been blessed off, if I apply for a second class, do I have to list the same condition (which was previously approved)?

I am not on any medications nor am I under any treatment, just don't want to go thru the months of waiting on the FAA to sign off.

Also, along the same lines, can the AME see that it's already been blessed off and issue the medical on the spot, or will it always have to go thru OKC?

Consult with Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

He is one of the 4 authors of the SSRI protocol and will one of the best to answer this question.

Consult with Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

He is one of the 4 authors of the SSRI protocol and will one of the best to answer this question.

I don't need anything to do with SSRIs. I haven't taken anything since my 3rd class was issued. Just not sure how the FAA would look at me if I didn't put it in the most recent application because it was already blessed off, and I don't want them crawling up my tail.

I don't need anything to do with SSRIs. I haven't taken anything since my 3rd class was issued. Just not sure how the FAA would look at me if I didn't put it in the most recent application because it was already blessed off, and I don't want them crawling up my tail.

You misinterpreted my meaning. Because Dr. Bruce is one of the authors of the SSRI protocol, he is extremely well acquainted with what the FAA wants and expected when a submission that includes a depression diagnosis is made.

If you contract with him to be your consultant, and provide him with info he requests, he is one of the best folks out there to answer your question. As opposed to another AME not intimately familiar with the protocols and makes an educated guess. That guess could be correct, or that guess could be wrong and open up a pandora can of worms that would be expensive to un ring.

You still have to answer the question yes because the fact that you have been diagnosed with it in your lifetime hasn't changed. In the comments section you will just click the button for PRNC previously reported no change.

Deferred again while attempting a Class 2 for the same reason, even with the PRNC and explanation to the AME.

Interesting thing I noted, the AME didn't tell me anything about my 3rd being revoked, I just happened to search myself in the FAA database and it lists no medical available (while my 3rd would still have at least another year on it). Glad I checked and called to confirm that it was indeed revoked, lest I get caught flying without one.

Here we go again!

Deferred again while attempting a Class 2 for the same reason, even with the PRNC and explanation to the AME.

Interesting thing I noted, the AME didn't tell me anything about my 3rd being revoked, I just happened to search myself in the FAA database and it lists no medical available (while my 3rd would still have at least another year on it). Glad I checked and called to confirm that it was indeed revoked, lest I get caught flying without one.

Here we go again!

Unless you sent in your medical, after 60 days the FAA cannot revoke it at their whim. There are very specific steps they have to follow, they have the burden of proof, and you can fly on it until the whole process is concluded.

Here we go again!

I would have kept flying on the 3rd while waiting, I would have assumed that it was still valid. The result f being caught in the interim would be that you would be informed that it had been revoked and that you can't fly anymore until resolved.

Good luck on the second class, it's probably a standard review for the upgrade to a commercial level medical.

Here we go again!

If you are the original poster? Did you contact Dr Bruce before going to any old AME?

If you are the original poster? Did you contact Dr Bruce before going to any old AME?

I am the original poster. I did not contact Dr Bruce before the exam because I wasn't aware of how big of a pain in the ass it would end up being. He is helping me out on the AOPA forums now and while it seems like it could've been easier, it very likely could be much worse in my case.

The AME I went to was somewhat unprofessional during the exam, can't say that I'll be going back to him.

Not surprising.

Here we go again!
If it was revoked, you should have received formal notification from the FAA by certified/registered letter. If you didn't, it's not revoked, and you can still fly any Third Class operations as long as it remains valid (60/24/12 calendar months from issuance, depending on your age and any specific limitation on that Third Class medical certificate). If you need further assistance, contact your Regional Flight Surgeon or the FAA Aeromedical Center ASAP.

Last edited:
Not surprising.
If it was revoked, you should have received formal notification from the FAA by certified/registered letter. If you didn't, it's not revoked, and you can still fly any Third Class operations as long as it remains valid (60/24/12 calendar months from issuance, depending on your age and any specific limitation on that Third Class medical certificate). If you need further assistance, contact your Regional Flight Surgeon or the FAA Aeromedical Center ASAP.

I will try to clarify with RFS today or tomorrow.

Interesting thing that I noted yesterday is that it wasn't a SI medical, and I have gotten RFS to fax a copy of the letter of eligibility for it to me that doesn't state any requirements or limitations to renewal, so hopefully this gets taken care of quickly.

Seems odd that if it wasn't revoked, why would it have been removed from airmen inquiry?

Interesting thing that I noted yesterday is that it wasn't a SI medical, and I have gotten RFS to fax a copy of the letter of eligibility for it to me that doesn't state any requirements or limitations to renewal, so hopefully this gets taken care of quickly.

Seems odd that if it wasn't revoked, why would it have been removed from airmen inquiry?

My Airman Status was "Call" for a couple of years when I hadn't replaced my paper certificate for plastic until they forced me to. They took 2 years to finally straighten out the registration on my 310. Just because here is a questionable status on the website does not mean the there was a revocation or that you are in a grounded status.

:dunno:

In any event, it appears you've gone over on the AOPA Forums and engaged Bruce Chien's assistance in this matter, and that your questions were answered there. Hope it all works out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back