Medical Question- An actual accident.

T

TaylorW747

Made an honest mistake...

On my second to last medical I answered no to, "have you ever been admitted to the hospital". However, while looking at my insurance records to fill out my most recent medical I came to learn that I had been admitted for constipation instead of what I thought was an observation.

Also for past medical visits within 3 years, I was only disclosing well visits. I can only say that I misunderstood what it was asking for me to disclose.

I did however disclose previous constipation issues in section 18 (which is what the admission was for). I called up a lawyer at AOPA (great people by the way) and he said I had two options. Write a letter to the FAA, or disclose all on next medical (1st class). The team at AOPA said that since I had already disclosed the issue of constipation, the misunderstanding between observation and admission should be explainable (since the underlining issue is something I had discussed with my AME on all past medicals).

I took my new 1st class medical and disclosed absolutely everything. I am young and was unaware that I could use my insurance records to see what my recent doctor visits were (I had my mother help me on this medical). I went and had my evaluation done with my AME. My AME questioned why I hadn't mentioned the admission to hospital on my last medical. I explained that I thought I was under observation and was not admitted. The AME understood, and by the end of the exam I had my new medical.

My current worry is, now that the FAA knows what they want to know, if I were to end up under investigation in the near or far future, what would happen? Would they take away my current ratings because of a past accidental omission that has been corrected? The Lawyer said he had never seen the FAA do something like that with a scenario alike mine (omission of a non-grounding condition that had already been disclosed). DO I have something to be worried about, or am I overthinking it?

You fixed the administrative error and disclosed as needed now. You are healthy to fly (as you were previously). I wouldn’t worry about it.

-Some Guy On The Internet

I doubt you will hear any demands on this; it's not an aeromedically significant issue. But BEEEE CAREFUL with what you choose to not report for whatever rationale you might have. Other situations may not be quite so benign.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back