Medical procedure a little embarrassing

U

Unregistered

I'm about to turn 17, and take my check ride. Unfortunately I need to be circumcised here soon. What is Turn around time for.a procedure like this, and could it affect my medical and if so for how long?

Seriously...

There aren't any AMEs here, but:

This is probably the least, if at all, reported medical procedure in FAA history.

You already have your medical and you won't need another for 4-5 years, and you only have to report medical visits going back 3 years.

My guess is as long as you are able to to perform the duties of PIC (a decision between you and your doc deciding when you can return to normal activities) you should be OK. As far as normal recovery time goes, your doc or whoever is going to be doing this should be able to answer that.

No medical impairment other than how you feel. I suspect you won't feel like flying for a few days. If they use general anesthesia, be sure to let the full revert time pass. You'll probably get pain medication, so check those out with your AME or the drug database.

I'd expect 1-2 weeks non PIC time. Of course, you can still fly with an instructor if you're feeling up to it.

Nothing abnormal.

You already have your medical and you won't need another for 4-5 years, and you only have to report medical visits going back 3 years.
But you do have to report any surgical procedure ever in your life, and when done by a "health practitioner", I suspect this would constitute a surgical procedure.

That said, I've never reported it -- it having been done by someone other than a "health practitioner". Not to mention I was only 8 days old when it happened.

My guess is as long as you are able to to perform the duties of PIC (a decision between you and your doc deciding when you can return to normal activities) you should be OK. As far as normal recovery time goes, your doc or whoever is going to be doing this should be able to answer that.
Agreed. So fly when you can, and report it on the next medical in that "Surgery" question in block 18 -- but nobody will care when you do.

I would refuse to report this only based on the fact that it has nothing to do with anything at all. If you have to report it then I suppose anyone who had it done as a new born better report it as well. BRB calling my AME about my foreskin.

But you do have to report any surgical procedure ever in your life, and when done by a "health practitioner", I suspect this would constitute a surgical procedure.

That said, I've never reported it -- it having been done by someone other than a "health practitioner". Not to mention I was only 8 days old when it happened.

Agreed. So fly when you can, and report it on the next medical in that "Surgery" question in block 18 -- but nobody will care when you do.

I don't know enough from the OP to know if it will be done by a "health practitioner" or for religious reasons. I hope it isn't some fraternity hazing stunt.:yikes:

I'm about to turn 17, and take my check ride. Unfortunately I need to be circumcised here soon. What is Turn around time for.a procedure like this, and could it affect my medical and if so for how long?

Not intending to pry, but why do you NEED to be circumcised? The reason may be more important to the FAA than the actual procedure.

So this doctor pioneered an eyelid transplant operation using circumcised foreskins. The operation works great, only problem is the patients come out a little cockeyed.

So this doctor pioneered an eyelid transplant operation using circumcised foreskins. The operation works great, only problem is the patients come out a little cockeyed.

You were supposed to log out before you posted!

Gear Up, Gear Up!!!

Sorry, but I really have nothing else to add here...

"The Jew did it!"

"You honor, I object, the prosecution is basing that purely on circumcisional evidence!"

Why on earth do you need that surgery? Don't do it.

Yes, I agree. Unless there is some aggravating issue, don't just do it because it may be customary. There is some compelling evidence that the procedure (removal of the prepuce) reduces sexual pleasure. I don't know about you but why give that away?

Per a little google searching, it appears that adult circumcision takes ~ a week to recover from.

There's something unique about flying, in that you'll be seated and manipulating the rudder pedals with some fair bit of force... I imagine this is something most doctors don't take into consideration when quoting recovery, so if there is a, ahem, frictional issue, you'll want to know that before you take the checkride, and you'll want the doc to arm you with some options.

You might want to ask if there's something you can wrap your business in to keep it protected while flying. A checkride is a sweaty and busy affair, and you won't want the added distraction of your legs rubbing your inflamed todger. :)

Per a little google searching, it appears that adult circumcision takes ~ a week to recover from.

There's something unique about flying, in that you'll be seated and manipulating the rudder pedals with some fair bit of force... I imagine this is something most doctors don't take into consideration when quoting recovery, so if there is a, ahem, frictional issue, you'll want to know that before you take the checkride, and you'll want the doc to arm you with some options.

You might want to ask if there's something you can wrap your business in to keep it protected while flying. A checkride is a sweaty and busy affair, and you won't want the added distraction of your legs rubbing your inflamed todger. :)

If the dude is a true pilot he should be able to get clipped on short final....."centerline, check. 1.3(Vso), round out, snip snip, touchdown on the mains, call it a day.". THATS how a pilot gits er done.

Yes, I agree. Unless there is some aggravating issue, don't just do it because it may be customary. There is some compelling evidence that the procedure (removal of the prepuce) reduces sexual pleasure. I don't know about you but why give that away?
There's that and then....it's a painful recovery. I had a friend who had it done as an adult. Some sort of peer pressure was at work.

But during recovery, despite all the effort he was putting into justifying his recovery, he swore that if he knew how much it hurt, and how long it would hurt, he wouldn't have done it.

Ouch!

Here's a tip for u (D'Oh)....we have a PoA in house connoisseur on penises. He spells his name with a 'y' instead of an 'I' (coincidence? I don't think so). Maybe check with him on the state of ur predickament:)

What you likely have is a fungus that has turned to glue. It can be cleaned and restored if you prefer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back